Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #1

bobolinko
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Default Designing an 08 XD DRL
I have been researching info on a DRL and find many of them are running lower power on filament bulbs so HIDs won't tolerate that. However, I have installed hi intensity/multiple leds in my parking light sockets and they are just about bright enough for DRLs and since my fogs are tied to the parking light wiring, I now have DRLs, FOGS and HIDs working in harmony. The DRLs run without the tails illuminated so they are like the "Factory" ones. I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but after its complete I can post the DIY. Presently my DRLS just go off when I turn off the motor, but an addition of a pulse relay timer will allow the DRLs to continue for a period up to 3 minutes. You could also wire the HIDs to light and be timed without using the parking lights if you so desired. Lemme know what you think and also what you think of using the parking lamps as a DRL. I am quite sure that there are brighter lamps available for the 194s that can be found, but not sure if they can be put through the parking lamp holes. The LED DRLS I have now require just removing 2 wires from a socket, and adding the joined pair to another (all in the fusebox). ZERO$ (without timer)
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #2

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Troy
I've been running white 28-LED SMT bulbs in my headlight parking sockets as Daytime Running Lights for at least a year and a half - they are still a bit too dim for satisfatory use in the middle of the day, but are great for morning and evening drive times while the sun is low, or on cloudy days... but did you do some rewiring so yours are on without the tails?? I'd like to set mine up that way... ok, I see you explained that at the end of your post, maybe you could elaborate on what you did...

Right now I have 25-LED bulbs installed, the 28-LED's burned out a while back, the heat from the headlights so close-by does shorten their lifespan...

Last edited by Cylon_xD; 04-21-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Cylon_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
newagestar
Full Access Member

Name: jason
Originally Posted by Cylon_xD View Post
I've been running white 28-LED SMT bulbs in my headlight parking sockets as Daytime Running Lights for at least a year and a half - they are still a bit too dim for satisfatory use in the middle of the day, but are great for morning and evening drive times while the sun is low, or on cloudy days... but did you do some rewiring so yours are on without the tails?? I'd like to set mine up that way... ok, I see you explained that at the end of your post, maybe you could elaborate on what you did...

Right now I have 25-LED bulbs installed, the 28-LED's burned out a while back, the heat from the headlights so close-by does shorten their lifespan...

same thing happend to mine i got the same bulbs

WICKED EXPRESSION CAR CLUB

D.I.Y CUSTOM

MEGAN RACING

CUSTOM XD GAUGES

AITRACING.COM
newagestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #4

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
I've been running some old PIAA two pot LED's. I've had these lights for 6-7 years now total. But i don't use them for DRL. new sets of PIAA muti LED are near $80 now.
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #5

bobolinko
Full Access Member

I've been running white 28-LED SMT bulbs in my headlight parking sockets as Daytime Running Lights for at least a year and a half - they are still a bit too dim for satisfatory use in the middle of the day,
Have you or anyone tried these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...OU%3AUS%3A1123

I just ordered them to see if they exceed the 28LED jobbies that I also have.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
JJGeneral1
Full Access Member

Name: Joe
bobo, i'd be tempted to put those in the back-up lights. LOL
JJGeneral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #7

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Troy
Hey now, those are definitely the most LEDs I've seen on a 194, I may get a couple sets of those for that price!

EDIT - I just ordered two sets, always can use the spares! I guess it will take about 2 weeks or so, coming from Hong Kong, but I've ordered stuff from there before with no problems.

Last edited by Cylon_xD; 04-23-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Cylon_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #8

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
who makes those lights up thurr?
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
JJGeneral1
Full Access Member

Name: Joe
Hey now, those are definitely the most LEDs I've seen on a 194, I may get a couple sets of those for that price!

EDIT - I just ordered two sets, always can use the spares! I guess it will take about 2 weeks or so, coming from Hong Kong, but I've ordered stuff from there before with no problems.
most of my LED's came from hong kong. you know how they look, and how good they work.
JJGeneral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #10

bobolinko
Full Access Member

I think the reason they went out is because they are on when the HIDs are on and the heat that HIDs generate. I plan to add this circuit to extinguish the LEDs during the time when the HIDs are enabled. This might prolong the life of those LEDs.....

Used a Radio Shack 12V SPDT mini relay and it fit neatly and easily in the Fuse Box :-)
if you have not already, check out http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696

Installed the "36 count" LEDs today. We'll see how long they will last.

Last edited by bobolinko; 05-08-2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Note for relay and location
Old 05-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Not sure if ya know this but V-LED's does carry some 194's that are built to be used in the headlight housing...just takes forever for them to get some in stock.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote