Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Exterior

Exterior Comments and questions regarding body kits, graphics, paint or other exterior mods.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #1

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

Name: Mr Squid
Default Painting emblems/badges: best way?
I want to "black out" or smoke the scion hood emblem and the rear one. what's the best way to do this? and does the paing (or whatever method used) come off after awhile and the procedure has to be repeated?

thx!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #2

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
I have no clue how you would go about doing this. Getting them off can be a bitch. I used a blow dryer, screwdrive wrapped in a cloth, goo gone, and fishing line (in a saw like motion). Just keep pressure on it and it will eventually pop off.

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #3

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

Name: Evan
i taped mine off and painted them with Nightshades. got bored and had some left over after doing my taillights. taped them and painted them still on the car. looks good, but the nightshades isn't the best application cause it is starting to wear off.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #4

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

like simmons said, i have always used fishing line or thin thin wire to "cut" the emblems off all my other cars. then just a lil adhesive remover or something to get the glue off.

i also read somewhere that on the front emblem for our cars. if you remove it, then you can replace JUST the scion emblem without the back plate behind it. that way the paint on your hood will show through the emblem.

hope this helps some. good luck on it. i would have personally removed all my emblems completely if the body didn't have the built in spots for them to go. looks funny having a flat oval on the body without something in it.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #5

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
Originally Posted by 1sweetxd View Post
i also read somewhere that on the front emblem for our cars. if you remove it, then you can replace JUST the scion emblem without the back plate behind it. that way the paint on your hood will show through the emblem.
I never knew you could do that. I will try it

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Buy clear badges and smoke them with some VHT niteshade the swap out the OEM models.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 AM   #7

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
I painted mine with satin black RustOleum then lightly color sanded them with 2000 grit wet or dry paper before buffing them with light polishing compound. Then after I finished cleaning them I used a small brush to paint the recesses in the lettering silver. Basically reversed the stock colors.

The black background on the front emblem is indeed a separate piece that sandwiches behind the silver part. It should be really obvious once you get the emblem off. The only difficulty in leaving it off is that it causes the center of the emblem to sit the thickness of the black part above the hood and makes it difficult to re-affix with any durability.

BTW... The front emblem has two little locating pins on the back that fit into holes on the hood for positive alignment and to locate the black background piece. These will get in your way when you use fishing line to "cut" the emblem off, but if you change the cutting direction you can work around them and leave them intact. I can't remember if the rear emblem has pins or not.

I posted some pics a while back here (near the bottom of the thread) http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/sh...p?t=15&page=28 and you can see the emblems well enough to get the idea.

I can post up a better pic later if anyone is interested.

Last edited by TexXBox; 08-31-2011 at 01:45 AM.
TexXBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #8
nguyen925

Name: jonathan
6 months late but plasti-dip works wonders.
nguyen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #9

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

instead of painting, you can replace them with others. lol. i came across some FREE toyota emblems. i took off the scion ones and replaced them. there are two holes in the body of the car behind each emblem. sadly, the toyota ones i got do not cover them completely, they are a lil smaller than the scion one. i hear you can get the new Camry emblems and they will fit nicely.

if you are gonna paint them, any plastic paint should work. the nightshades ended up coming off mine. (didnt really expect it to stay too long).

Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
jeddyxD

Name: jed xD
For painting the rear emblem, is it better to take it off or paint it on the car itself? o:
Btw, i'm new here so just giving a heads up! (:

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Oh, and i removed my 'xD' emblem and painted it flat black wih Rustoleum. Should i re-do the paint and use a primer and dry/wet sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper? And what type of adhesive do you guys recommend for reinstalling the 'xD' symbol? Sorry for the double post!

I bought Plasti-Dip btw!

Last edited by jeddyxD; 02-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.
jeddyxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
^^^ to replace the emblems just use Outside Grade Doublesided 3M Tape

Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
jeddyxD

^^^ Would i have to cut the tape so it matches the emblem? And can you buy this from Home Depot? Thanks! (:
Old 02-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Yes and Yes. It should be about 1 inch wide and have a red backing on it.

It just holds up better to the elements.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
jeddyxD

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
cubanoloko

Name: cubanoloko
Im plaining on smoking out my emblems, and i was wondering whats the best/most durable paint for this kind of work?
cubanoloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

The most used and it thing now is using the PlastiDip from Duplicolor. Applies easy and if gets on somewhere you don't want it it peels off easy and without damage.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
cubanoloko

Where can i get it?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by cubanoloko View Post
Where can i get it?
Correction it is made by Performix not Duplicolor.

Any Hardware store should have it. Comes in spray can and small cans. The spray is about $6 at least in my area. They also have a new version that has clear and like 4 pigments to make your own color. That is like $12 to 15

It's normally used as like a liquid electrical tape or to dip your tool handles in to make rubberized non slip grip.

here's company website

http://www.plastidip.com/

on left side there are options under home solutions. the first option is what most people use. The Smoke/Camo I have not seen in my local stores but you could order online.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
cubanoloko

I went on the website, but they dot have the color i want yet, yellow, it says they are coming out with that color and some more by the end of this month.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Should i ise sand paper or somethig breflre sparying it? I dont wanna do a shitty work
Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #20
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

I have seen yellow. check the stores. you can definite get yellow in the can and paint it on. I know i have seen that.

No need to sand with the Plasti Dip. my friend PlasitDip his wheels without sanding and it has been holding up for a few months now.