Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Audio/Interior Electronics

Audio/Interior Electronics Questions, tips/advice, comments and all things about car audio and other interior gagets.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #1

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

Name: Mike
Default Center Console Switch Blanks
So I recieved a seat heater as gift recently. Am trying to figure out how to remove the plastic center console piece with the 4 rectangular switch blanks. These are between the seats, under the E-Brake handle, and closer to the passenger seat. I would like to get a factory looking rocker switch to turn on/off the heater and use that location.

Has anyone been able to use this "un-used" feature already stamped into the plastic there, and if so do they pop out from the inside?

I will be getting another heater for the passenger side, and want to use a 2nd of the 4 locations for that purpose. The other two I will use for LED in cab lighting, but first, how to get this piece off?

My second question is; whats the best location to tie into for power? There is a relay box down low on the left by the hood release, but it looks difficult to access. The real fuse block is under the hood. Whats the best way to snake a wire through the firewall to supply power for my electronic mods?

SciFion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Vicbuilder

Name: Vicbuilder
That panel under the e-brake just pulls off and snaps back into place. The blanks I'm sure will just pop out from the back once you get that panel off.
I'm surprised the heated covers didn't come with wiring instuctions. I bet they will pull alot of juice so you're right to go straight to the battery for the main power. They don't have some sort of switched relay to activate the main power to the elements?
Vicbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #3

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Vicbuilder View Post
I'm surprised the heated covers didn't come with wiring instuctions. I bet they will pull alot of juice so you're right to go straight to the battery for the main power. They don't have some sort of switched relay to activate the main power to the elements?
It came with instructions, and it has a small round switch button like a rocker switch with a little picture of a seat on it. I was thinking of drilling a hole into one of the blanks and putting in the round switch, but remembered that Scion factory type rocker switches are available from Oznium I believe. And those blanks are set up to fit those perfectly it looks like.

Was just thinking it would look better with those switches that were designed to go in the blanks.

But now the question is, how to find a way past the firewall. Should I just drill a small hole, or keep searching around to find where the wiring harness goes through? Everything is so crammed in there together it's difficult to see where the wires go through.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #4

xDTool
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Send a message via AIM to xDTool Send a message via Yahoo to xDTool
Originally Posted by SciFion View Post
It came with instructions, and it has a small round switch button like a rocker switch with a little picture of a seat on it. I was thinking of drilling a hole into one of the blanks and putting in the round switch, but remembered that Scion factory type rocker switches are available from Oznium I believe. And those blanks are set up to fit those perfectly it looks like.

Was just thinking it would look better with those switches that were designed to go in the blanks.

But now the question is, how to find a way past the firewall. Should I just drill a small hole, or keep searching around to find where the wiring harness goes through? Everything is so crammed in there together it's difficult to see where the wires go through.
I've used the panel before for my headunit dvd ebrake bypass. the panel just snaps off and same with each individual plate pops right out... i used a small round switch and simply popped one of the tabs out and used a unibit/step drill to get a nice centered hole to the right size and it popped right in, looks great.

Id recommend not using the scion factory switches, the one that i got for scion factory switch pieces was too big, and is apparently only for the tc/xb
xDTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Originally Posted by SciFion View Post

The ones from Oznium are not designed to fit an xD.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #6

Luc1f3r
Full Access Member

Name: Luci
Send a message via AIM to Luc1f3r
yeah the oz switches say on oz's site they are for tC/xB only.

dont the OEM heaters have an OEM switch made for the blank?

pull the e-brake up and that panel does just yank out.

the blanks do just "pop" out once you have the panel out.

just poke a hole in the GIANT rubber grommit used to run all the stock wires through the firewall, above and to the drivers side of the brake pedal, if i recall.

dont drill another whole unless your gonna be running more or larger wires, i drilled 2 holes in my firewall for all my wiring.

My RS1.0 xD is for sale!

Luc1f3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #7

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

It's an aftermarket heater. I guess I'll just drill holes in the pop out switch blanks and install the small round switches they gave me.

Thanks for the heads up on the wiring location on the firewall, and the console removal.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
wasabi596

Name: wasabi596
is that the official name for the piece "switch blanks" i need to replace a few of them and im having trouble finding them online
wasabi596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
brudsman22

Name: John
Yeah they are switch blanks.

For the center console by the parking brake, they are part #5553952070B0
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...3952070B0.html

For the center stack where the USB/AUX. ports are, they are part #5553952040B0
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...3952040B0.html
brudsman22 is offline   Reply With Quote