Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Audio/Interior Electronics

Audio/Interior Electronics Questions, tips/advice, comments and all things about car audio and other interior gagets.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
mikejsmith1985

Name: Michael
Default Questions about LED Basics
Hello,

I just got my xD last week, its an 08 with no options. I would like to put some Interior LED's in under the dash, maybe in the cup holders. Since I didn't buy the car new and the origianl owner didn't opt for the interior LEDs is there a good document around that can explain what LEDs I would need, suggested mounting points, wiring diagrams etc. for starting from scratch?

I've searched around a bit and I'm not really finding the Beginner level info I am looking for.

If this has already been covered just let me know and I'll be happy to try the search feature again :-)

Thaks,
Michael
mikejsmith1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #2

KylexD
Full Access Member

Name: Kyle
How goes it. I have all my interior lights swapped, I have led's in all in the front and rear driver/passenger side floors. And I did led's on the map/dome/trunk/licences plate.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

For your floors, you are looking at led strips, they are flexible, some are magnetic, mine are secured with zip ties. They can be ran to any power source really, or to the battery, just attach them and run the wires to power. If you want led's for the dome/map/truck etc. you can check out fireflys on ebay they sell a nice led kit for those items and are very easy to install.
KylexD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
You can check out Oznium.com for alot of you LED projects. They have many things to choose from. From single LEDs to the full LED strips. all you need to do is mount them where you want them and hook them up to a 12 volt source.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
sky is the limit. go to the auto parts store too. Only LED's I installed are on my b-pillars
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
mikejsmith1985

Thanks everyone! I guess it really is as easy as it sounds :-)

I'm looking forward to the project!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
C4W22

Name: Chris
wired my girlfriends to a SPDT relay (you can pick these up at a local auto parts store for like $2-5) so that they come on only when the parking lights are on (which are on also when you turn on the headlights).

if you wanted to do something like this, you'd wire the white wire noted in the picture to pin 85, a constant +12v source to pin 86 and 87, and the power for the leds to pin 30, and then ground the leds independently. you can also add a toggle switch inline with the power source to interrupt this relay.
C4W22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
mikejsmith1985

Thanks a lot! I'm considering installing factory nav (sns100) so Im debating what color LEDs I want. If I don't install nav I'll go orange so everything matches and has a "factory" feel. Since the nav has blue buttons I may go blue if I install it. I like the way that you wired that up I will likely take that approach!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
C4W22

Name: Chris
good luck man let me know how it goes!
C4W22 is offline   Reply With Quote