Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Honeycombe

Name: Honeycombe
Default Why do you think more Scion xDs aren't sold?
Why do you think not that many Scion xDs are sold, compared to similar cars? (At least I'm assuming that's the case, since I don't see any on the roads where I live.) The reason I ask is...I wasn't in the market, really, for a Scion xD. I did hours of research online about the kinds of cars that fit my needs, and I came up with a list of possibilities. The Scion xD was one of 'em. I hadn't heard of it before. I hadn't even ever seen one in person. So I didn't focus on it, and I didn't go to check it out.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I finally got around to just going to look at Scions at the Scion/Toyota dealership. Thought I'd just stop by, take a look, then leave. I ended up spending about an hour there, while he showed me everything about the Scion xD and the xB. I thought the xB was awesome, but it wasn't on my list because it doesn't get the mileage I want. But the more I looked at the Scion xD, the more I liked it. That is one cute car. Although it hasn't been on the market for a long time, the reliability ratings are excellent. I loved the design, I especially liked the stereo (compared to other small cars), you could actually sit in the back seat (unlike the Ford Fiesta). And the design just captured me. I'm just wondering...why haven't more of these cars sold as urban commuter cars?
Honeycombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Name: Thadeus
I think your asking the wrong crowd. We all tend to like our XDs, and can't think why others don't. I see quite a few around where I live, and if someone will give me the time I'll bend their ear and tell them how great I think it is. I think if it was advertised more (at least as much as the TC) and if it had more aftermarket support it would sell better.

I came from a 04 Tacoma 2.4L auto, and I really appreciate the handling/gas milage/5 speed/sound system/just plain having a back seat. I do wish Toyota would have graced us with a Corrola trans though (taller gears). When I was shopping I wanted a Honda Fit or a Scion XD or a Suzuki Swift (which never came to America). I also would have liked a XB gen 1 with the 2ZR-FE, but that didn't happen. The Fit would have to be the sport model to be similarly equipped as the XD, and the XD was noted as having a better ride and better acceleration so I bought the XD. I've never though twice about it, and think it's a joy to drive everyday!
Whack-A-Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #3

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
there are alot around Chicago. car designs are regional
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #4

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
Theres probably about 7 in my town.

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
I think the Scion "brand" is still pretty unknown. People know the xB1, but aren't familiar with the others. Kinda like VW used to be. Everyone knew the beetle, but the other models weren't household names. It seems to me that they could have done a lot better if they brought it in as a Toyota.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

Pittshark
Full Access Member

Name: Mark
I very rarely see other Xd's around here. You'd think you might see more of them, living in a city where thousands of people commute from the suburbs to everyday, but you just don't. I see (literally) tons of TC's, almost an abnormal amount actually, and decent amount of B's. Part of me wishes I saw more because I could feel a little more like they're selling and I won't be driving an already-discontinued car. On the other hand, I love having something unique and getting the occasional looks from others on the road cause they probably don't even know what kind of car it is. Right after I bough my D, my good friend bought a slightly used Pontiac G6, and while it's faster and more equipped than my car, I couldn't help but think that I'm glad I don't have a car that you see 20 of on every block.
Pittshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #7

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
Ok main reason. No aftermarket support.. not much advertisement and there's no hype. In another words. Its not well put out there like the original box or the tc

Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #8

xDTool
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Send a message via AIM to xDTool Send a message via Yahoo to xDTool
defiintly has a lot to do with both aftermarket support and marketing.

no aftermarket support -> limited tuner interest
no marketing vs say the honda fit's level of marketing -> most economy whores never get past the honda dealership because they arent able to find much competition, even though it cost 2-3k more for a honda fit with the same standard equipment as the xD
xDTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Low production is one reason, the xD was not intended to sell like say a Corolla. Every dealership I have been to only had a handfuls of xD's on hand and they don't stay long. One thing that does bug me is how review companies like motor trend and car and driver will run article after article about the Mazda 2, Fiesta, and Fit but I never see anything about the xD. As for tuner support that is not an issue, performance enthusiast sales have a very small impact on sales in total.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #10

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

as I'll reiterate, I see lots of xD's. I don't think they care much about what the aftermarket has to offer. Except for the RS1 and another gray one, that's about it for modded xD's here. Otherwise, everything else is stock...
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #11

Flipper
Full Access Member

Name: Bill
I tend to blame the no haggle pricing. Even in it's own showroom, the dealer is free to lower the price of a Matrix / Yaris but not the xD. + the xD is made in Japan as opposed to a Matrix or Corolla which wont suffer from high Yen/US$ rates. It makes more sense for Toyota to just sell lots of discounted Corollas. @ a higher per vehicle profit.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae So palese dnot copmilan aoubt my tpynig you konw you can raed it
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #12

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

you can carry more in a corolla
Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #13
katchkillah
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Kory
here in the islands, dealership has said xD's usually hard to keep in stock due to the good gas prices we get here as one key factor. but then for the tricked out xD's, that's a dead end here. only know of a handful and never see any at carshows or in the parking lot of those shows. most the few i know here have 5Axis kit, TRD springs and rims and that's about it. =(

Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #14

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

I don't take mine to carshows
Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #15

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
its not that bad cause some still don't know what potentials xd have and all we gots to do is show them .. but speaking about gas.. this week i decided to start driving slower and lower shifting (stupid speeding cameras ) i forgot how much mpgs these lil box can go .. drove 5 days all around the city and only 3 bars wasted

Last edited by xd_kidd; 04-19-2011 at 03:07 PM.
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #16
katchkillah
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Kory
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
I don't take mine to carshows
lol if i had your rides me too.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #17

bobolinko
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Part of that "Lean" sales is the Service....

Mine has been in the shop for 7 weeks...... for a "Back-ordered" part, and they wanted a reciept for 2 quarts of trans oil, and threatened they would not cover with warranty if I did not show the reciept.... Do you know ANYONE that keeps a reciept for a couple of quarts of oil ?????
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #18
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
Part of that "Lean" sales is the Service....

Mine has been in the shop for 7 weeks...... for a "Back-ordered" part, and they wanted a reciept for 2 quarts of trans oil, and threatened they would not cover with warranty if I did not show the reciept.... Do you know ANYONE that keeps a reciept for a couple of quarts of oil ?????
Toyota is very picky about their transmissions with the lifetime fluid (black dip stick) supposedly it does not mix well with other fluids.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote