Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Question First oil change coming up on my 2009 Scion xD.
The car came with two free dino oil changes from the dealer and now I'm approaching the 15K mark so it is about time it perform my first oil change on the car. I was wondering who actually makes Toyota oil filters, I'm debating as to whether keep using Toyota filters or switch to Purolator which is the brand I normally use. Viscosity from factory can be either 5w20 or 0w20, currently 5w20 is being used and would I see an increase in fuel economy if I switch to 0w20? OCI is gonna be set around 10K and I was wondering what oil would you recommend for such a long OCI?
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
TulsaPoke

Name: TulsaPoke
Default MHO on Oil
I just researched the oil change issue on my xD. I went with a Wix filter, but for a couple bucks more I may try the Purolator next time, both sound like they would meet or exceed the stock filter.

The first number before the w in the oil viscosity rating is how it flows when it is cold at start up. No oil flows well enough at startup even the 0w but it at least beats the 5w or up; startup is when an engine wears most. Once up to running temp the 0w20 and the 5w20 will be exactly the same. The climate doesn't matter much anymore with a modern water-cooled engine they all are kept a bit over 200 degrees when in operation; so you should be able to use the same grade year round.

From reading on Bob is The Oil Guy forums it sounds like Pennzoil Platinum or Mobile One are decent Synthetics and can be found locally most places. I just changed mine to 0w20 Mobile1. I am planning to run 9-10k OCI since I can just reset the maintenance light once without changing and then change it the next time it pops up. I may go to 5w something once I get more miles on the car to save money though, I have been unable to find any jug oil in a 0w.

Also from my research it sounds like Synthetic is a quantum leap over dino oil since it is able to not only hold up better but sticks to the parts better.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by TulsaPoke; 08-21-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: left something out
TulsaPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
I prefer a rue synthetic like RedLine or Amsoil. Oil analysis has shown little wear over the course of 10,000 to 12,000 mile OCIs.

As far as engine temps, xDs seem to have a 200F thermostat. Without much strain on the engine. They tend to run around 197-198 on the highway. The cooling fan comes on at 205F. It doesn't run quite as hot as some modern engines.

Don't forget an oil filter housing wrench! I recommend the Assemmacher Toy640. The 64/65mm ones won't work on our cars.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Does anyone know who makes Toyota OEM synthetic oil? From what I have read I think Purolator actually makes Toyota's OEM filters (I thought it was Fram).
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote