Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
NIQUIL

Name: NIQUIL
Default Rattle
Ok so ive installed my 2 10" kenwoods in the trunk now i jut have 1 issue its the rattle from my lisence plate and rear view mirror. I was told that putting the double sidded 3m foamy tape behind the plate will silence that. Now how do i go about the rear view mirror? If i hold the mirror the sound is gone but i dont know if it is the mirror frame thats rattling or the frame against the glass thats causing the rattle...

Any assistance??
NIQUIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
you have to stop the roof and windshield from moving. best bet is to sound deaden your roof. it will help but other than that you will have to take off the mirror.

The subs are causing the roof to flex which vibrates all the way up to the windshield and then vibrates the mirror.

My mirror never rattled but when cranked i could hear a noise right where the roof line met the windshield. it sounded like something was rattling/rippling sound and if I put my hand on the windshield where I though t it was it would stop.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #3

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
take off the mirror...
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
NIQUIL

Name: NIQUIL
How would i sound deaden the roof?

And isnt that illeagal to not have a rear view mirror?? Lol i use mine alot you know cop watching n stuff so i dont think that would be a good idea for me lol
NIQUIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #5

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

Name: Evan
you would sound deaden the roof by using dynamat or some other sound deadening material. you would most likely just have to remove the headliner to get access to the roof. put your deadening material onto the metal of the roof and then put your headliner back on. shouldnt be too difficult.

as far as the rear view mirror goes, the rules may apply differently from state to state. i know here in texas, you dont have to have a rear view mirror as long as you have your side mirrors. also, you can get rid of your side mirrors as long as you have your rear view mirror. but thats here in texas, i would check out the rules in your state just to verify

Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
^^^ agree about mirrors. the rules are the same here in Florida.

And deadening, as said take off headline. Put on deadener per instructions with deadener and reinstall headliner.

Normally the deadener comes in sheets and you put it on and use a roller to put pressure on the sheets to give it good adhesion. and get a good quality deadener like Dynomat.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #7

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
I hardly use my rearview since the rear window is so small. My last car didn't have one( because racecar) and so I'm used to not using it so much. Gotta keep your situational awareness at all times.
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote