Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
trueblue

Name: trueblue
Question headrests, ugh!
Hi all!
I'm back with a silly question of the week.

Is there any way to change the headrests? I am not a tall person and the headrest pushes my head forward when I'm sitting up straight. I'm trying to figure out how to take them out and reverse them if possible.

Is there an easy way to get them out? They go up but stop.

Any and all advice or instruction would be greatly appreciated!
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
robbiej
Old Fart
Full Access Member

Name: Rob
I think there is a button on the side of one of the plastic parts where the headrest goes into the seat, push it in and lift the headrest out. I did this to hang an umbrella on the back of my seat.
robbiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #3

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

Name: Mike
I have experienced the same issue and decided to look into it. Here's what I found to help the situation. I'm ordering mine today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRD-B...item4153be6b7d

This item should help by supporting your neck and allowing your head lay back some. I have noticed on longer trips that I wish I had a neck support just for this reason. Now I will.

SciFion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #4

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
funny cuz my headrest likes to rasie it self up a couple notches on it's own. but an, I'd really like to lower the seat
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
trueblue

Originally Posted by robbiej View Post
I think there is a button on the side of one of the plastic parts where the headrest goes into the seat, push it in and lift the headrest out. I did this to hang an umbrella on the back of my seat.
Thanks Robbie... this is what I was trying but there seems to be a stop and am trying to figure if there's another release someplace for that. I'll go back at it in the morning.

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

Originally Posted by SciFion View Post
I have experienced the same issue and decided to look into it. Here's what I found to help the situation. I'm ordering mine today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRD-B...item4153be6b7d

This item should help by supporting your neck and allowing your head lay back some. I have noticed on longer trips that I wish I had a neck support just for this reason. Now I will.
Thanks SciFion, I'll look into it. That maybe helpful as well. I'd love to hear how they work out for you. (Always nice to have a guinea pig to test things out. Kidding! Thanks for the suggestion and possible solution!)

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
funny cuz my headrest likes to rasie it self up a couple notches on it's own. but an, I'd really like to lower the seat
Ha! Sometimes so does mine because my head is mostly under it! I've tried sitting on a thin cushion and it helps the position (putting me at a better height but am then sort of sitting too high for other stuff). The next attempt was one of those mesh lumbar thingies they sell in Walgreens. Worked good but makes the bottom of the seat feel a bit short in depth.

Tomorrow's another day and this weekend was my first road trip. it's comfortable for around town and short trips but 5-6 hours calls for some neck support of better quality.

Thank you all for your responses and advice. I'll let you know what works or if I find a way to get the headrests to, actually, come off. (reversing them so they are flat instead or tilted forward, not hitting the top of my head in the back, would be the best option if I can do that.

Hey, I'm 5' 3 1/2" it's not that short, lol, or maybe it is. ;D
Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #6

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

ergonomics of the xD favor shorter people. bring a sunvisor down and I can see out the windshield. rearview mirror is up as high as it goes and inhibits my outward view and I'm 5'11".
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
trueblue

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
ergonomics of the xD favor shorter people. bring a sunvisor down and I can see out the windshield. rearview mirror is up as high as it goes and inhibits my outward view and I'm 5'11".
It appears to favor short people. I find the windshield cuts off too low. I can't get too close to the stop line at a traffic light or I can't see the lights, lol. Also, no pre-made sunshades fit and in FL I need them. But... on the plus side... I need sunglasses less. ^shrugs^

In other news:
I found the thingy to release the head rest. On the opposite side of the button that releases it to go down (it seems to go up by itself) is a slot, sticking a tiny screw driver in there released the stop on the bars and it came out.

I tried reversing it, had to trigger that same slot to make it go all the way down, and find it's tilted so far the other way it would provide no support at all in an accident. So... I'm trying to figure the best way to make it comfortable and safer. Actually, I think SciFion's pillows are probably just the right thing. Thanks SciFion!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #8

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

Name: Mike
Hey, no problema! I ordered mine that same day. Have been thinking about something like that item for awhile, and when I saw your post it got me off the fence.

I'm sort of in the same ballpark at 5' 8"...

SciFion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
trueblue

Originally Posted by SciFion View Post
Hey, no problema! I ordered mine that same day. Have been thinking about something like that item for awhile, and when I saw your post it got me off the fence.

I'm sort of in the same ballpark at 5' 8"...
I'm gonna try one of those blow up neck pillows that don't work so well for sleeping in planes and cars (As I has one hiding in the closet anyway). I'll try the headrests forward and backward and see if either works.

One has to wonder... If the seats, headrests... etc... are misproportioned for people 5'3 1/2", 5'8" and 5'10'.... who do they work for? Hmmm... I'm guessing either 5'6" or 4'9" is the optimal height.

Last edited by trueblue; 10-29-2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: even worse grammar and punctuation! :O
Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #10

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

the fitment is the same way for me in a 3000GT. I don't fit in those either
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Originally Posted by BexExcureVelE View Post
I bet out...the pot. He pushed. I hated it but had to call. He showed QTh. I didnt improve and he took the pot. Ugh

Edmond
Reported
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote