Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #1

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

Name: Mike
Default Air Bag setup for xD's
I believe Resolve has air bagged his xD, and I think he may be one of the few, if not the only person with a bagged car. I would like to know more about this as I recently saw someones 2nd Gen xB that was bagged and it looked sweet!

Care to comment on a possible kit available, or ideas concerning this awesome development? Sorry if I let the cat out of the "Bag"!

SciFion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
I will say the set up I have is great but takes some major fabrication adn not for a novice. My friend (Crabs) and I worked with Airridefittings.com to create a kit for the xD. But it is not a bolt on and go kit.

The rear was easy. We used some old FBI Mini rear brackets for a 1st gen xb that Crabs had and put those on the back. Took some minor notching of the rear spring cups for the bag not to rub and for the fitting to fit through the bottom.

The MAJOR modification I speak of is the front struts. This is where the expert assistance comes in. I do not advise or condone anyone to do this. (kinda like don't try this at home but you know someone will,. How else would we have some things today) anyway back on topic. A friend of mine, who I trust in his welding skills with both mine and my families life obviously since he has been doing it for about 10 years, weld a 1/4 plate to where the spring cup would normally sit on the front struts. Not and easy task to carfully weld a 1/4 plate to a pressurized Strut tube. I had to take the strut cap off ( basically it was just a dust cap and the strut stayed intact) so the bag would slide over strut. and then installed everything in car and ran necessary wires and hose.

It cost me about $2000 in all including kit and new front struts so I could fabricate them for front bags. I have universal bags all the way around. Aero Struts in front and Air House 1's in the back. I have been happy with it and has been on since Mid February. Minor issues at first with it being kinda of an R & D kit but now everytihng is working fine with the exception of a few little leaks I have to fix but that is normal with bags.

The only kit I know of out there that is basic plug and play type is Airrunner and that is a $3000 kit. And only other xDs I know of on air are SEMA show cars.

as for height. The rear sits about an inch lower than the Airrunner kit and front sits about the same height as air runner. Only way to change lower specs is to do major modification and change mounting points for bags. such as raising strut mounting point and tubbing wheel wells. Which may be done to our car depending on Body kit we may or may not get. But when fully dumped i would say the front wheels are about 1/4 to maybe 1/2 inch from rubbing inner fender well at top and back is about the same.

Hope that helps. was jsut cliff notes of what we did.

and my wife loves it.. The xd is her daily driver
Resolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

Name: Mike
Cool stuff with your wifes car, I've seen the video with the sparks at night, very impressive. the Airrunner kit at $3.000.00 sounds very pricey, though nice to know someone made a kit for the car. I wonder if something in the range you spent might be available soon? The effect when parked is awesome, not for everyone I know, but still eye-catching. How's it handle?

SciFion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

To me it handles no different than stock. As for ride if the air in tha bags are right then it rides great if you have to much it can be a bit bouncy and kinda stiff. We don't have any gauges on teh bags so for us it is all guestimate right now. but we will have gauges soon probably and will be upgrading a few things.

I am sure Air Lift will come out with a kit. Air runner I have no doubt is quality stuff but you are paying partially for a name.

Yeah they sparks. that started out just for fun but had to remove them for now. my driveway screwed they setup I had up and I haven't had time to make some adjustments. but it lasted for a little bit and the reactions were great when people saw it from an xd.

I am waiting on a body kit to see how it sit before I try to make it lay body. If we don't go with a kit then I will lay stock but if we go with a kit we may already lay the kit out if not it will be very close. I got some new pics tonight I will post them once I upload them.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
misformartin
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to misformartin
Airrunner is super quality... the parts you get are top notch... i have had airrunner on my first gen xb for 3 going on 4 years... and 60 thousand miles not one probel ever... and rides just like the day i got it... this car is stupid and and to lay body would require alot of work like randode's xb... before that i had a bagged s10 and holy hell was that a nightmare... using universal air garbage... airrunner ftmfw
misformartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

I have had no issues with the Universal Air and considering we were trying to build a kit versus spending $3k on one our options were limited. But I say well worth it.

I have never used Airrunner but have heard nothing but good things about them.

I have a few minor leaks I need to find but nothing major. The leaks are not the bags but the lines somewhere.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
trdxd
Full Access Member

Name: trdxd
pictures of it dumped plz
trdxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by trdxd View Post
pictures of it dumped plz
I will get some. all my pics are on my computwer which is packed up right now. but I will try to get some from other who have them or use my phone.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Here is a quick pic. I get better.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
katchkillah
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Kory
any recent pics? been debating about this since now all my peers are on bags and rolling into an event you can hide things under my xd next to theirs. lol. =(

Old 01-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
notoriouseyk
Full Access Member

Name: eddie
Send a message via AIM to notoriouseyk Send a message via MSN to notoriouseyk Send a message via Yahoo to notoriouseyk
how much does an install usually cost for an air bag system..
notoriouseyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
misformartin
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to misformartin
well depending on the kit install is about 300 to 600 depending on where u go....
misformartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by katchkillah View Post
any recent pics? been debating about this since now all my peers are on bags and rolling into an event you can hide things under my xd next to theirs. lol. =(
I don't think I have any recent since our camera is in storage but I will try to take some with my phone and post them.I will get some on a flat surfice instead of the grass and we have the hubcaps back on so maybe can get a better picture of how wheels sit. It maybe this weekend befoer I can get them though since i work till 8pm each night during the week.

I will even try to get measurment pics so you can see how low it sits

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Originally Posted by notoriouseyk View Post
how much does an install usually cost for an air bag system..
Depends on where you go and what you have and how much modification is needed. Me and a few friends did our install so cost was $0. But this was not a plug and play kit. Needed to make some modifications. and I went couple extra steps to make it better. not done yet. If have enough money from taxes after gettting a new house and all I plan on swapping out airlines and fittings and possibly making some adjustments.

Just some things are hard with it being my wife's daily driver so it can't be out of comission for to long.

Only thing is I got a few leaks that have seemed to have gotten bigger. not sure if fittings or if lines. hence reason I am changing some of them out.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
xD_GiRL4

Name: Casey
Send a message via AIM to xD_GiRL4
I'm running the Universal Air Suspension Air Ride kit on my xD right now. Here's some pictures for those who haven't seen mine. Here is the link for the build pictures of my xD on Universal Air's website http://universalairsuspension.com/on...sid=162&cid=12

Dropped

Dropped pancake

Front slammed - Back raised

No leaks at all. LOVE my air ride.

Team Koshak - Universal Air Suspension - Extreme Dimensions - Varad Lighting - AA Autowork's - Coach Automotive Restyling - K&R Digital

Last edited by xD_GiRL4; 01-21-2010 at 02:09 PM.
xD_GiRL4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by xD_GiRL4 View Post
I'm running the Universal Air Suspension Air Ride kit on my xD right now. Here's some pictures for those who haven't seen mine. Here is the link for the build pictures of my xD on Universal Air's website

No leaks at all. LOVE my air ride.
Yeah I seen that a few months ago. They didn't have a kit when I got mine so mine was pieced together with the help or AirRideFittings.com and my friend. I used to have no leaks but I moved my tank and now one of the push connect fittings at the tank leaks and the roads here aren't the best plus I play around with the bags some so I am sure one of the hoses has moved in the fitting and is leaking. or possibly one or more of the dump valves are dirty and staying stuck open a little. not bad leaks but they leak. but hey that is the nature of the beast sometimes.