Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Odinkinder

Name: Terry
Default Eibach Springs/Tociko Struts and Shocks
My 2009 xD has had one of the shocks go bad. (leaking oil) I have decided to take the opportunity to replace all four corners with upgraded shocks and struts. Right now I am thinking about using Tokico HP series for the struts and shocks. While I was doing my research I came across a "Performance" kit on EBay that had them combined with a Eibach Pro Kit, spring set, the price was not too bad, $535 USD. This got me to thinking about doing a full on upgrade, not just shocks and struts. Of course I have been researching all I can, reading every post on this forum and other sites. But, I still have questions, I'm hoping some of the more experienced folk here can answer them.

My first concern with the spring set is ride quality, I have always thought the stock suspension rode like crap, and I didn't like the body roll either! I have been reading that the TRD springs are stiff, so I'll be avoiding those, are the Pro Kit springs just as stiff? Does anybody have any experience with the ride quality of Pro Kit, or Sportline springs? I am asking about the Sportline springs too because I found out that they use a progressive spring on all four corners, the Pro Kit is a straight 160 lb. on the front. The Sportline front spring goes from 114 lb. to 211 lb., I'm thinking this might make for soaking up small bumps, like expansion joints, or uneven pavement.

I have called both Eibach and Tociko, to ask about the combination of the two, the Eibach rep said when they develop spring sets they use the stock struts and shocks as the baseline. I then called Tockio, said I was looking at lowering springs and asked if the could recommend some spring sets that worked well with their shocks and struts. Without my mentioning Eibach, he recommended either the Pro Kit or Sportlines, he said that when they developed the HP series they figured that they would be used with lowering springs, and they chose the Eibach springs to work from.

I am used to working with motorcycles where if you are looking to upgrade your suspension, the springs come with the shocks and the dampening is matched to the spring rate, having to put this together from two different suppliers is a bit daunting because both sides are being a bit stingy with information.

Does anyone here have experience with the Eibach Pro Kit or Sportline springs? Hopefully pared with Tokico HP series for the struts and shocks? Or, even the springs with the stock struts and shocks? Or, KYB GR-2s?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Terry
Odinkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #2

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

Name: Chris
welcome to the forums terry. you already know my opinion from scionlife lol.
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Odinkinder

Name: Terry
Helpful! LOL!!
Odinkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #4

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

Name: Mr Squid
wish i had seen this sooner. Been running sportlines for 13 months now. It sits 'almost' without gap---which to me is the perfect look i am looking for, not off-road, and not rubbing/slammed. These are on stock shocks/struts. Driving is a bit firmer but still confident and comfy. handling is noticeably improved, although i'm sure the installation of the Eibach front camber kit is partly responsible.