Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #21
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
^^^ it is just a filter from the looks, the filter is slipped over the velocity stack.

If you look at the pic and you see the bands that is used to hold the filter on one at the back of cone. And you see the plastic ribs right after that. that is the rids on the back of where the velocity stack curves. then you have th coupler between the velocity stack and the MAF.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

And J87 (sorry to shorten couldn't remember you whole screenname, no disrespect) Based on what you are saying it may not add HP or any significant HP anyways, but by increasing the RPM acceleration speed that means you hit the power band a little faster and it probably increase the power band size just a little. Which is a plus. And it probably inproved your overall acceleration.

Almost like the throttle body spacer that this guy was selling for the first gen xBs, I had one and my friend got one. I had Manually and he had Automatic. The spacer had Hellical (?sp) cuts in it to twist the air. Now you may say it wouldn't do anything, but it did, it changed the power band on both and helped acceleration. MY power normally didnt really start until about 1750 to 2000 RPM and ended about 5000, but with the spacer my power band changed and I could feel more pulling power from about 1250 to redline in all gears.

and his automatic power band changed. I don't know his starting power RPM and how it changed, but his automatic would shift around 5000 or so even if he had it floored. but with spacer if he had it down the RPM went all the way to REDLINE before shifting. and his acceleration increased a little also,

Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #22
THEHMONGYAJ87

Name: Enter your name or name you wish to be refered to as.
I dont really know if it did anything, but I took it out after I installed it and floor it on the freeway, it did seems like it picks up faster, I mean the rpm shoots up to redline but I didn't really want to push it hard because I only have 700 miles on the odo and dont want to mess up anything yet, lol. But I took my bro along and he's thinking about getting one for his 06 rolla xrs. The automatic tranny sucks cause everytime it shifts, it lags for a second then shoots up again. Wish I waited for a standard, but this is my wife's car afterall. Oh I miss my old gsr...

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Oh and btw way, better pictures..

I'm thinking about getting a dc sports cold air intake since it's a one piece design and it eliminates the stock maf tube. Plus it's a straight shot from the tb so I don't have to worry about any turbulence.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

THEHMONGYAJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #23

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
damn ii forgot our engine bay can be that clean.. mines need a good cleaning!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #24

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
i don't get it....

i see no benefit without a dyno sheet to prove it. Spectre is all that's needed. using the OE corrugated pipe will screw up the airflow anyway.

this is the only time a velocity stack is needed
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #25

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
Ok, I'm a little new to the velocity stack thing. Do you need a filter for them?

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #26
THEHMONGYAJ87

it's been dyno proven bro.. i came from honda and most of the racers at the tracks uses a v-stack at the end of thier intakes, even turbo cars uses them for quick spool up. anyways i just did a iat (intake air temp) test with a my setup the xd and while the car was sitting it was at 111 degrees, whike driving the iat drops to 82-79 degrees. i did a test with my bro's xrs with a injen cold air intake and his was at 70-73 degrees sitting and 68-70 degrees whike driving. the outside temp is 70-73 degrees today.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

even the nissan guys uses this. heres a link to a bpi product review for the nissan forums. it's more effected at the track with no filter though.

http://www.sr20-forum.com/product-re...low-stack.html

couple from honda forums.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2231492

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2646800

http://www.aspeedracing.com/showthread.php?t=6652

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=511839

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1591210

muscle forums

http://www.355nation.net/forum/engine-drivetrain/1784-bpi-intake-velocity-stack-dyno-info.html

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Originally Posted by simmons0613 View Post
Ok, I'm a little new to the velocity stack thing. Do you need a filter for them?
on the tracks you don't have to run a filter but daily i would advise using a filter.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #27
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Simmons,

like said if doing daily then yes filter over Vstack (so you wont see the Vstack), but in race and drag cars they don't normally filter since they normally tear engines down and rebuild every race to every couple of races depending on group and type so dirt and debris is not a big issue like daily driven.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #28

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

oh ok, that makes sense. thanks resolve.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #29
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

No problem. I am thinking about maybe giving it a try just for the heck of it

Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #30

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

couldnt you just modify our stock intake manifolds into a "velocity stack"?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #31
THEHMONGYAJ87

modifying our stock manifold would result in itb's (individual throttle bodies), this setup would sucks for our car because our motor won't rev high enough to benefit the itb's. You would want a intake manifold with built in velocity stacks like the jun auto intake manifold for the b18c.

Itb's

Jun auto manifold

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Here's something you might want to look at if you are thinking of making a cutom manifold for our motors. I know it's not scion related but this gives you the idea of design an intake manifold.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/bl...culations.html
Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #32

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

a one off manifold was made and it was too little too late. economy crashes and it's expensive. but dyno with the usual I-E( don't rememeber if there was a header and exhaust was axle back if that counts) was 145ish hp at the wheels. I was interested but by really couldn't afford that on unemployment. But no one would buy into it. Honestly, how many WANT to do turbo and actually did?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #33

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

well if the turbo was more affordable then I would be all over that. But like you said, things just got harder now that the economy crashed

Old 06-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #34
THEHMONGYAJ87

Yeah i dont think shops are going to look into producing performance products for our cars. they're more interested in hondas, mitsu's, subbies and mazda. I thought about getting a 06 rolla xrs before i bought the xd, but I wanted to be unique. i see too much rollas, tegs, subbies, lancers on the streets. and I wanted something that saves me gas and something i wouldn't mod alot compare to my integra so i got the xd. yet the mod bug keeps bitting me... lol.. thinking of going back to stock and selling the stack/filter combo.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #35

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

My moms friend is possibly wanting to sell his 1998 supra turbo sport edition, it is very temping to not go and blow all my money on selling the xD and getting that beast.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #36

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

you want something that gets good gas mileage and you can mod the hell out of? get a CRZ
Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #37
THEHMONGYAJ87

the crz looks like shit and not even comparable to the prius. If i get a hybrid, i would buy a prius. and i said something i wouldn't mod alot.. lol