Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
sch3nk

Name: Chris
Default NST Upgrades
As everyone knows, NST is one of the few companies that offers amazing products for our xD's. Well I went ahead and placed an order for what they had in stock. In cabin short shifter, engine bay bushings and the underdrive pulley. I am currently still searching for the Engine bay short shifter, and the in cabin bushings. I wanted to let you all know my results.

In cabin short shifter. Found a DIY guide online, and got everything apart and ready to install within 10 mins. I ran into a problem very quickly. I am assuming that this short shifter are machined out of just stock stainless, on a lathe or some such. Well whatever tool was used to machine out the inside of my product messed up (the area where the old shift stick slides into). The diameter of the inside on the thing changed. So i could get the old rod about 1/2 way into the new piece, and no farther. I ended up having to us a grinder to decrease the diameter of the ball on the bottom of my old rod. Granted, this only set me back 20 mins but still. After the hassle, i got everything back together and went for a ride. This thing was amazing. It's simple math as to why it works, but still was very happy with the results.

Engine bay bushings. Once again, found a DIY online. Took about 10 mins from the second i popped my hood until i closed it. They went right in, were easy to install. Another amazing improvement. I cannot believe i shifted without these before. Pure brilliance.

Pulley. Another DIY online. Took about 2 hours tops (including the drive to the local rental shop to grab an impact wrench). Old pulley came off with no trouble. New pulley went on just as easy. I threw a CEL on startup, but i think its cause i had my wheel off on first startup....dunno. Reset the ECU and we'll see if the light comes back. OMG, what an improvement though. I never realized how sluggish the engine was before. Pure brilliance. The pulley was beautiful, and so much lighter than i thought (didn't really appreciate it till i got the stock one off WOW that was heavy).

Anyway, i know that people have installed these before and sung their praises. But i just had to do the same. Because these 3 products made the car 100% more fun to drive, for about $300 and 3 hours of time. Brilliant! I don't even care about the snag with the shortshifter being messed up.

So now i got some questions. Does anyone know anywhere that stocks NST parts.....besides NST? I have tried 3 places and they are all "on order from NST." Which i was told by NST that they have no idea when they will order more.

Also, is the TRD engine bay short shifter the same as the NST? I heard they were somewhere, can anyone confirm?

Do they cage bushing make that much of a difference? I want them, and they are cheap but still would like to hear someone opinion.
sch3nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
xd king
Full Access Member

Name: bob
try microimage
xd king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
sch3nk

Microimage, NextGen Tuning are out
They rely on NST's stock sadly.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Name: Thadeus
I got the TRD engine bay short shifter because it included a new plate to realign the shifter cables. I believe both Nst and TRD short shifters are aluminum, so I went with Dr. Isotopes bushings (derlin instead of steel) to not wear out the aluminum pegs.
Whack-A-Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
sch3nk

Thanks Whack.
I had never hear of Dr Iso before.
And i think ima just go with the TRD like you did, due to the supply actually being available. Still would like the NST cage bushings though if anyone knows where to do so.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
TacoCart

Name: TacoCart
I just ordered the nst under-drive pulley. Will inform you guys on what i think when i get it installed. I am looking forward to putting it on.
TacoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #7

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
Your soo late bro lol but welcome nd enjoy ur pulley dude

Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
TacoCart

yeah guess so. I'm thinking of a cold air intake but I am not sure witch to get. is there any clear leader out there for the xd.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Name: Anthony
Originally Posted by TacoCart View Post
yeah guess so. I'm thinking of a cold air intake but I am not sure witch to get. is there any clear leader out there for the xd.
injen seems to be best choice but $270 is to steep for a piece of pipe and filter. your better off going custom. there is no shame in goin to autozone and making your own. you'll do it for a fraction of the price and get the same results. just check my mod pics and you'll get an idea or it might even allow to come up with sumtn of your own. my .02 cents

Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #10

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
we all built our own for around 60-80 bucks depending on how elaborate you want.

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
TacoCart

Originally Posted by XDevolution View Post
injen seems to be best choice but $270 is to steep for a piece of pipe and filter. your better off going custom. there is no shame in goin to autozone and making your own. you'll do it for a fraction of the price and get the same results. just check my mod pics and you'll get an idea or it might even allow to come up with sumtn of your own. my .02 cents
Ill Check it out thanks. might have to make my own.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #12

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
Pshhh.. ii jst took out the filter housing and added the filter cone. Only 25 bucks. Best cheap mod I've done lol

Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
TacoCart

Smile
Originally Posted by XDevolution View Post
Checked out Injen I like. Might buy one think I may save a few bucks first. Also I Installed the nst pulley the red matched my car pretty good even though you would never see it lol. Did notice a difference in 1st and 2nd. I saw someone on hear say they did not know the torque spec. I looked it up on Mitchel today 140lbs. at least for a 2011 I'm sure its the same across all years.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #14

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

Name: Mr Squid
man threads like this make me really regret settling for automatic trans.

pulleys can't be modded/are worthless for me then, yes?
also i had a corolla with a TSW shifter. maybe they make shifters for our cars? that shifter was UNBELIEVABLE with the added bushings.

next Q: can you be more specific on why the engine bushings were so " brilliant"? ie effect on performance, daily driving comfort, etc.