Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Exterior

Exterior Comments and questions regarding body kits, graphics, paint or other exterior mods.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

GoForBroke

Name: Zack
Default Help Finding Parts

I just got my 2011 Scion xD and now i am trying to modify it. All of the sites i have gone to seem to cater to the xA's and xB's. Can anyone give me good sites to parts for body kits, rims, turbo kits, HID headlights (i really want black ones). Oh and how big should i get my rims, like what works and what does not. And lastly how low should i drop it. This is an everyday use car. I no its a lot of questions but i would truly appreciate the help.

Thanks!
GoForBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #2

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
First........ Welcome to the forum.

Second......... That IS some list. You are not the first to try and find stuff for our beloved little cars. Spend a little time pokin' around the threads and you will find all kinds of ideas and resources. Not to mention opinions, suggestions and feedback on stuff that does or doesn't work.

There is not much off the shelf for the xD, so you have to use your imagination and get creative for a lot of things. Some Yaris stuff works for engine/chassis stuff.

Good luck, and have fun.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #3

GoForBroke

I certainly will rummage through here and see what i can find. Thank you
Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #4

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

Name: Evan
welcome to the forum bro!! nice to see another 2011 on here. what color did you pick up for your ride? like texx said, take a look around on here and see what you are interested in and ask questions. thats what we are all here for.
1sweetxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #5

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
Welcome to the xD family!

And as for your rim question, removing the wheel well guards (or what ever you want to call them) will allow for a little more room but I say if you want to go 19"+ (maybe even 18s) you want to look into some off sets. Those are the things that make the rim angle upward, just FYI. I'm running TC stock 17" rims with no problems and stock height.

Now as for your lowering question you need to first find out what size rim you want. Then that will narrow your choices. Now do you want more show or comfort. On average, without going to air ride like Resolve (you may meet him later), your looking at about 1.5" drop on most springs.

And like ^^they^^ said, just snoop around and you'll find something. And dont be afraid to ask for help or opinions.

HOPE THIS HELPS!! :P

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
Can anyone give me good sites to parts for body kits, rims, turbo kits, HID headlights (i really want black ones).
Welcome,

That list is about the same for most people that first get the car. I will explain something since I don't know if you know about the or not. if you do then great if not hope you learn something.

Body kits:

There are only a handle full available. I say like 5 including full kits and lip kits(estimate since never actually counted) and normally only like 2 I see on cars. Just google search for Scion xD Body kits.

Rims:

Stock to 20s bigger will work. For daily most I would go would be 18s. I too am currently on Pre 2011 tC stock wheels. As for the off sets that Simmons mentioned I believe he is refering to Camber. Offset is where the mounting bolt area is in relation to center of rim. this does not affect angle of rim. Stock wheel for xD is +45 offset I believe (just off top of my head without searching).
Now Negative camber can help you run more agressive wheels if you do right working and mathmatics, but negative camber basically pushes bottom of wheel outwards causing the top of wheel to poke more inwards. Now with right camber and making sure other parts of alignment are still intact you would be fine as far as tire wear but wrong camber alingment and out of spec for other issues and you will rip through tires quickly.

Turbos:

Currently no off the shelf set up. One is in works, but not out. So going on your own setup for this. Only do it is you know exactly what you are doing and have funds for issues. Haven't seen anyone do one and it work for extended periods as of yet on xD.

HID Headlights:

You can get HIDs, but I believe ou are refering to Projector Headlights. These too have no off the shelf products. You either retrofit, basically get the parts and convert your stock headlights. Or go without.

Hope this gets you started.

One thing you didn't mention was drop.

Springs:

Cheap easy to install and give a static drop anywhere from approx 1 inch to 2 inch. few different options. Yaris spring will fit since same suspension.

Coilovers:

More expensive. Can fine tune your ride height to what you want then leave it set. However, cannot adjust on the go. Must park car to adjust. makes easy to fine tune it for lowest possible for your liking and rim combo. Also more performance driven.

Air ride suspension:

Most expensive. More for show. Can adjust on the go. More maintenance. Can slam it and look nice when parked. Ride can be roughy and bouncy depending on set up. or can be perfect again depending on set up. also dependent on roads.

Can be used for daily driver. Mine is. but you must be mechanical and know what you are doing just incase something happens and you are away from home. best for a vehicle that may not be driven daily if not completely sure of workings.

Again welcome if you have questiosn we will help.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #7

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
As for the off sets that Simmons mentioned I believe he is refering to Camber.
Yup, thats exactly what I meant. Sorry I think faster than I type sometime lol.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #8

GoForBroke

Thank yall very much. It has all helped.

My car is red, its manual (only way to go), the obly thing i have done thus far is put a 10 in the back. (planning for 2 10s and a 12).

All the mechanical stuff will be done by my dad. Hes been a mechanic since he was like 14.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #9

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

You can give yourself a short ram spectre filter for around $30 with parts from autozone... heres the DIY for it, however you dont need all the parts listed. Just the filter, 2"-3" coupling, and t-clamps. All the other stuff is for looks and doesnt do much at all. http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/sh...hlight=spectre

Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
Thank yall very much. It has all helped.

My car is red, its manual (only way to go), the obly thing i have done thus far is put a 10 in the back. (planning for 2 10s and a 12).

All the mechanical stuff will be done by my dad. Hes been a mechanic since he was like 14.
Cool that your dad will do the work. I would recommend helping and learning (if you don't already know) how to work on the Scion. All Scions are pretty much like the snap-tite models you get at the store. Lol they pull apart and go back together fairly easy. And as with most Scions a 10mm wrench/socket will be your best friend. Most bolts, not all, but most are 10mm.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #11

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
black HID's? those are blacklight's! har har! good luck with your buildup. you have to be creative with this car. it is alot of DIY stuff. I did the intake. added 100mm extension to the shifter (5sp-only way to go), TRD CF knob, TRD suspension, Garax LED reflectors. Amon blue LED lights on the b-pillars. homemade LED domelight. PIAA LED city lights. Konig Glide 17x7 +35 offset. that's the mild side of things for me
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #12

GoForBroke

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
black HID's? those are blacklight's! har har! good luck with your buildup. you have to be creative with this car. it is alot of DIY stuff. I did the intake. added 100mm extension to the shifter (5sp-only way to go), TRD CF knob, TRD suspension, Garax LED reflectors. Amon blue LED lights on the b-pillars. homemade LED domelight. PIAA LED city lights. Konig Glide 17x7 +35 offset. that's the mild side of things for me
Man i have definitely discovered that, but i think that is whats gonna make this fun. Im in gettin my windows tinted right now. 18% all around. Will eventually tint my windshield, headlights, and tail lights.