Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #1

Arwen
Full Access Member

Name: Sandra
Default Ouch, help :(
Need some help! Long story short, during a camping trip my boyfriend's dog tore up parts of my interior. She had never been camping before so she was to sleep in the car with the windows slightly open, but apparently she has separation anxiety and the poor thing freaked :\

Pics:
Roof panel

Chewed antenna cable, airbag seems intact, but not sure. Thinking of removing panel and comparing to driver side airbag.

Munched seat belt :\

I'm unsure of how to go about the repairs; my options are either to obtain the parts form wrecked xDs and repair myself (roof is easy but seat belt ???), or take it to a shop, or file a claim. The airbag looks fine, but according to the manual the car should be taken to the stealership immediately if any airbags are exposed. But I know better than to trust everything on the manual. My question I guess is, what's the best/cheapest way to go??

Thanks for any feedback, it's appreciated

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Woops just realized this is the mod section, sorry!
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #2

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Ouch... sorry that happened to you.

I would definitely go used on the headliner if I could find a good one. Not so sure on the seat belt though. The only way I can think of getting a used one is out of a wrecked car and even though it might look fine I would be unsure if it had been "used" during the accident. I would personally replace it with a new one. If you could measure the resistance of the airbag on the other side and compare the two and confirm they are the same as well as doing a careful visual inspection of the wires for damage I would risk it. IMO I would much rather have a known good, reliable seat belt with no airbag than a good airbag with no seat belt.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

Arwen
Full Access Member

Thanks for your advice, I didn't think a used seat belt would be a problem but I it's something that I will definitely consider and look into now.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
robbiej
Old Fart
Full Access Member

Name: Rob
Sorry to see this. I hope you can get it fixed soon. If you don't want to take the car to the dealership, I would find a shop and have the airbag checked and would get the seatbelt replaced. You could probably recover the headliner or find someone to do it for you. Check out some shops that do upholstery work.
robbiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Actually a good upholstery should be able to take care of both. Your a nicer person than me, if that was my dog it wouldn't walk right for a week.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
So does your radio reception suck now at least in some areas? Looks like your antenna wire was chewed through.

From pics. Air bag looks fine and I would replace belt and headliner. thats a big gash missing from headline and how would they fix it? Can't fiberglass it and would be weary of other options. Reasons being if fiberglassed and airbag deploys the fiberglass will most likely shatter and you will have fiberglass debris flying everywhere and could cause more problems with occupants. If repaired other ways what if something is done and airbag cannont deploy correctly could cause more issues. in long run just cheaper to get new/used headliner.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #7

Arwen
Full Access Member

Yeah I wouldn't know how they can patch up something like that on the headliner. I wouldn't take any chances with the airbag so I probably will end up taking it to the shop.

The radio reception does suck in some areas, but radio in El Paso sucks anyways so I haven't missed it much. I'm getting a friend to fix that one for me though!

And I WAS mad at the dog at first, but eventually I forgave her ]

Thanks everyone!