Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Audio/Interior Electronics

Audio/Interior Electronics Questions, tips/advice, comments and all things about car audio and other interior gagets.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #1

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
Default Amp installation help! PLZ!
I just bought a cheap amp and 12" sub to install in my car until i can afford a nicer one. However I cant seem to figure out how to install my amp to my factory 08 pioneer stereo. I've noticed that it has a sub output on the back however I'm getting no sound. It continues to use the internal amp. Please help.

I've add a photo of my stereo, i will upload pics of the reverse side in the morning...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scion_SS14_440.jpg (32.0 KB, 17 views)
simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
I forgot exactly how but I believe with the power off you hold the menu button then select audio and there is an option in there to turn the sub outputs on. Read teh manual to verify for sure, but i do know you have to turn the sub output on on the radio.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #3

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

I've tried looking for something like that but i cant find anything.This is really starting to get agrivating. anyother suggestions.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

I know you have to turn the sub output on. Did you get anything by turning the radio off and holding the MENU button. YOu should have an option that says like Audio and one that says MULTIMEDIA or something like that. You go to audio and it will give you options to turn the sub on. I think you get to it the same way you get to area to change lights on deck from blue to orange, but go to audio section. If not try holding the SSP button. I am not in front of radio a or manual until tonight.

Make sure you Check the manual for the RADIO not the Owner's manual for the car.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

I will look tonight and give you info if you do not figure it out

Old 12-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #5

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Ya i did see something like that but nothing worked. However now i have a bigger problem on my hands. I unplugged to the battery to run the power wire, just to be safe, and when i finished running i plugged it back in. How ever when i put my key in to ignition I found out that half my electrical isnt working. My radio wont turn on, my clock is blank, and my over head light wont turn on. Plus my remote key entry wont work! And all i did was unplug the battery and all this happened, the power wire to the amp isnt even plugged into the battery.

Last edited by simmons0613; 12-22-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Check all your fuses, including the one under the hood.

as for the sub, was the power wire hooked up when you tried to turn it on? lol Just asking. if you turned the amp output on on the radio then when radio is on hit menu and then go into audio settings like you are going to mess with the bass and treble and there is now an option to set sub output and check to make sure amp is getting power. It may sound small but alot of people don't get power to the amp due to like bad ground or blown fuse and think there is something wrong but just needs better gorund or new fuse. Not saying this is your case but just making sure.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #7

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

well i will check the amp when i get everything fix, but what kind of fuses are those in the box? I've never seen ones like that. I bought some mini fuses but they are still to big.

I did find someone on this forum who had the same problem as me...
http://clubsciontc.com/forums/audio-...working-37451/
Old 12-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #8

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
Ok, fuses under the dash and in the engine bay, check all of them and replace as necessary.

Check the power wire to the amp, you might have the positive and negative wires flipped.

To get the Amp to turn on you need to go through the Radio's sub menu. Turn the radio off with the top right button labeled "pwr" Then press and hold the bottum left button labeled "menu" click through to the subwooferlevel and turn it on.

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #9

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

ok, well i found the blown fuse and replaced it, however the sub still wont turn on. the radio says "sub on" and light on my amp is on. But the sub does not do squat.

UPDATE: I found the culprit. it was a loose speaker wire, and the sub now works perfectly. Its still needs to be cleaned up. And by that I mean the housing needs to tightened and placed in more snuggly.

Thank you all for helping me through my ignorance.

Last edited by simmons0613; 12-23-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #10

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
check that the ground is properly grounded from the amp, check that the RCA's are connected, and then check inside the sub box to make sure those wires are connected.

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #11

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Yes they are, I've double and triple checked everything. This is the first sub system I've installed and I'm happy with it. It doesn't hit very hard but it still hits. In the future I will upgrade to a better system and box.

Oh, I'm looking to attach the remote wire to the cigarette lighter. Which wire is the power wire?