Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #1

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

Name: Evan
Default Interior Water Leak!! Someone help!!
i've had my XD bout 3 weeks now. about a week ago i noticed water dripping onto the passenger floorboard from the AC unit. not bad at first. now i have started to hear water moving within the dash on sharp turns. anybody know what could cause this?

the leak is pretty bad. after a 3 hour drive, i literally had standing water on the passenger floorboard. believe some sort of drain plug is clogged. i got some water to drain when i unplugged the fan and removed a screw from the shroud for the fan. that allowed a place for water to drain. got it drained, but water is still leaking when im driving.

anyone know of a cause and possible solution? or is the dealership my only option?
1sweetxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #2

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
Some did report a water problem before but I forget where and when. But your still within warranty. Go to the dealership asap.

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Originally Posted by 1sweetxd View Post
i've had my XD bout 3 weeks now. about a week ago i noticed water dripping onto the passenger floorboard from the AC unit. not bad at first. now i have started to hear water moving within the dash on sharp turns. anybody know what could cause this?

the leak is pretty bad. after a 3 hour drive, i literally had standing water on the passenger floorboard. believe some sort of drain plug is clogged. i got some water to drain when i unplugged the fan and removed a screw from the shroud for the fan. that allowed a place for water to drain. got it drained, but water is still leaking when im driving.

anyone know of a cause and possible solution? or is the dealership my only option?
Had same problem. Junk from outside elements gets clogged in the line that releases the condensation from the A/C and since it can't flow outside the car it builds up and starts flowing inside car.

Go to Dealer and tell them your A/C is draining into your floorboard and you need the lines cleared so the condensation flows out of the car. The should be able to clear it quickly. As far as I know there is no screen or anything available so the problem will continue to occur if stuff gets stuck in there.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #4

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

Name: Evan
went to the dealership and had it checked out. the rubber drain hose was clogged with some "gunk" and they got it cleared. now it is draining like a champ.
1sweetxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
+1 for resolve! lol Glad to here you got it fixed

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
The drIn clogs with bits Of leaves and bugs and stuff. Now that yours is clear, go ahead and install a cabin filter and prevent it from clogging again.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
joelzenny

Name: joelzenny
Default Self service this problem?
Hello,

Anyone know how to take care of this problem without going to the dealer? I also have the same leak but because of the memorial day weekend can't get an appointment until Tuesday. Where is the hose that needs to be unplugged? Can I get step by step directions on how to do this by anyone here, or at least get pointed in the right direction?

Thanks,

Joel
joelzenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
riderrock

Name: John Rockwell
Joel,

I just cleared mine. Found this blog.

http://johnnydopefish.blogspot.com/2...and-clear.html

I followed it closely, but wasn't getting the water gush i expected. So I took a can of compressed air (usually available at radio shack sold as keyboard cleaner) and blew back into the tube. If you end up having to hold the can sideways, make sure your keep it still to keep from 'icing' the rubber hose.

I also used a large shallow bowl to collect the water before replacing the hose because I wanted to see the gunk come out. Had about a 1/3 of a gallon of liquid. I was just starting to get dripping into the car after hearing sloshing in the vents for a few days. If your problem is more severe, you may need to be prepared for more water.

John
riderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
beckiraye

Name: Becki
Thumbs down
Originally Posted by 1sweetxd View Post

My car is two years old this is the second summer it has been leaking water into my car.
beckiraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Originally Posted by beckiraye View Post
My car is two years old this is the second summer it has been leaking water into my car.
Get it cleaned out and install a cabin filter... if you leave it too long, you're going to get a mildew smell that is nearly impossible to get rid of.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
kalvin14

Name: kalvin
having the same problem. dealer installed a cabi filter and water still leaking. dealer said my hvac core had to be taken apart and cleaned. warranty wont cover it because it's not mechanical. This has to be a bad design on the air system. dealer said it would take 8 hours of labor and 800 dollars to fix. I told them forget it. I think this should be a recall...a car with only 30 thousand miles shouldn't be leaking...right? Anybody that can help with a cheaper fix???

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

good luck...they put in a cabin filter in my car and still leaking on floor. Now the dealer said the hvac core unit needs to be taken apart and cleaned. I was told 8 hours of labor and 800 dollars. This car has a bad design on the way the air is vented. I am calling Scion headquarters. My car has only 30,000 miles and this shouldn't be happening. dealer said my 75,000 mile warranty wouldn't cover it because it isn't mechanical. I'm not happy!
kalvin14 is offline   Reply With Quote