Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #61

wooly willy

Name: AJ
Originally Posted by TexXBox View Post
I guess I need to buy some lighter shoes or I'm destined for sub 30mpg.
I never drive with shoes on, (I know you are just joking...) but I feel a little more connected to my car. It feels less clumsy to me.

Plus, I'm one of those shoe-hating hippie types...
wooly willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #62
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Originally Posted by wooly willy View Post
I never drive with shoes on, (I know you are just joking...) but I feel a little more connected to my car. It feels less clumsy to me.

Plus, I'm one of those shoe-hating hippie types...
It does take a little adjustment if I go from steel toe wear Dr. Martins in jeans to regular shoes in gym shorts.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #63
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
I got 26.8 MPG (calculated -- the display was about 27.something) towing this thing around:

Most of it was local driving... I hope to get one or two MPG better once I get it out on the highway.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #64

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
250 miles total with 3 bars left. dash says 33.8mpg. topped 34.4, but that's it for city for me without being a total putz around town
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #65
FBI

Name: FBI
2 bars left and the dash says 36.4 mpg. City and highway for me. This is still my complimentary tank of gas from the dealership. If this is what I will average on my weekly commute and weekend driving I will be very happy with my choice. I have only had the car 6 days.
FBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #66

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

fresh tank of gas, new wheels on, 34.1 avg so far. now it's rainy and cold again. means the A/C-Deforster has to be on. killin my hypermiling fun here
Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #67
FBI

Second tank of gas. The dash says 35.7. Fill up calculation = 33.8.

I wouldn't call it hypermiling but I am happy because that mileage is a combination of about 60% highway and 40% city.

btw 333.9 miles with the gauge blinking at me.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #68

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

wow. I am doing 32 all city
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #69

wooly willy

I'm at 28.5 city, are you just babying it or am I being too aggressive?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #70

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

babying like a mofo! I hate it too. But i really am in no hurry. all the roads are 40mph anyway
Old 09-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #71

wooly willy

Hahaha, nicely done, Jim.

Do any of you use any other grade of gas, like Premium? Any noticeable difference in gas mileage or power?

Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #72
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Premium usually results in slightly lower power and fuel economy. Fewer BTUs per gallon than regular.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #73

wooly willy

Interesting. I've always heard the exact opposite but never any explanation or proof, but in doing some googling (inspired by your post) you seem to be correct.

I guess I'll stick with the cheap-o gas!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #74

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

if you plan on being in VVTLi all the time, use high octane. I have been using 89 recently
Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #75
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Unless you've done an engine swap, an xD doesn't have a VVTLi engine. We have VVTi -- no valve lift adjutment. Yes, there is a VVTLi version of this engine available... for instance, in the Lotus Elise.

Our engines have nowhere near the compression that requires or gains any benefit from premium gas. Regular gas ignites easier, and is what most engines are designed for. Engines with higher compression use premium and usually produce more horsepower... but it is due to the engine, not the gas. Premium gas is used ONLY to eliminate preignition (knocking) in high compression engines.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #76

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

sorry, i got trigger happy. but it's dual VVT-i. regardless, if you are gonna drive in Vtec all the time, use high octane
Old 10-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #77
FBI

Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Unless you've done an engine swap, an xD doesn't have a VVTLi engine. We have VVTi -- no valve lift adjutment. Yes, there is a VVTLi version of this engine available... for instance, in the Lotus Elise.

Our engines have nowhere near the compression that requires or gains any benefit from premium gas. Regular gas ignites easier, and is what most engines are designed for. Engines with higher compression use premium and usually produce more horsepower... but it is due to the engine, not the gas. Premium gas is used ONLY to eliminate preignition (knocking) in high compression engines.
Interesting; I read a piece on Spitfire Fighters in WWII. A great fighter but needed more climb to go head to head with the Me109. The US started supplying fuel at 100 octane rather than 89 which improved the HP of the Spitfire and gave the pilots a little edge in the Battle for Britain. I have put racing fuel in my Hyundai before and noticed a significant increase in power.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #78

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

might be the altitude tho when it comes to planes. the Thunderbolt even used Alcohol injection for that get away speed
Old 10-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #79
mcbrew
Full Access Member

If your engine is knocking, you'll get a CEL. Unless that is happening, there should be no benefit to premium gas in our engines. "Butt dynos" are not very well calibrated. Your car might "feel" different with premium gas, but I doubt there is more power. There is no reason there should be more power. There is a good reason there should be less power: there are fewer BTUs per gallon in premium than in regular. By a very small amount, though... probably less than most people could detect.

Running premium will not hurt your engine... it just won't have any benefits, all else being equal. There is a catch there... because all else might not be equal. There may be other additives in the premium, or it may be a different brand than you usually use. I suspect that it is mostly a placebo effect. If anyone has dyne numbers that show otherwise, I will listen.

The same thing happens with biodiesel vs. regular diesel. Biodiesel has a lower BTU content. A given engine will have lower fuel economy and lower power on biodiesel, but many people report having more power. The reason is mainly that biodiesel makes the engine run quieter, so it seems like it isn't working as hard. The difference is small... but lower BTU content equals lower power. This is the same reason that E85 returns much lower fuel economy than regular gasoline or E10. Ethanol has a much lower BTU content than gasoline.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #80

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

you watch Sid the science kid?