Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #81
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
you watch Sid the science kid?
No, but I do have a 400 gallon biodiesel processor.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.

Last edited by mcbrew; 10-05-2010 at 03:22 PM.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #82

wooly willy

Name: AJ
shiiiit. What do you run on all that biodiesel?

(Should've bought the 1.4L diesel Urban Cruiser, methinks?)

Old 10-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #83

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
It's a still in disguise..... Don't tell the Revenuers...

Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #84

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
ooo ooo ooo! lately I have been driving to keep up with traffic flow. read driving like all the other asshats. down to 31mpg guage. imagine what the GMC Acadia's are doing....15?
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #85
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by wooly willy View Post
shiiiit. What do you run on all that biodiesel?

(Should've bought the 1.4L diesel Urban Cruiser, methinks?)
I used to drive a VW Golf TDI. So did my brother. My parents both drive Jetta TDIs. My cousin drives a Jetta TDI and a Mercedes 300SD. We also have two diesel tractors, two diesel vans (a Chevy and a Mercedes), and a motorhome. Oh, and one of my best friends drives a Jetta TDI, too. I used to drive the sprinter van 750 miles in one day, three times every month... not to mention local driving. My brother and I both put about 80 miles a day on our cars. My mom drives about that much, too.

We don't use nearly as much diesel these days. I'm thinking about selling the biodiesel setup. Anyone interested?

I won't be winning any hypermiling contests this weekend... I'll be towing the camper over to Maryland's eastern shore for some good ol' camping! Me, wife, baby, dog, and all our stuff... not to mention the camper itself. I'm going to take it easy and see if I can get 25 MPG (in the display, at least).

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #86

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I won't be winning any hypermiling contests this weekend... I'll be towing the camper over to Maryland's eastern shore for some good ol' camping! Me, wife, baby, dog, and all our stuff... not to mention the camper itself. I'm going to take it easy and see if I can get 25 MPG (in the display, at least).
You can do it. Probably even with the emergency brake on.
Have fun and stay safe.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #87
FBI

Name: FBI
Default Third Tank of Gas
31.35 Miles/Gal. by tank calculation.

90% of this tank was city driving.

I filled up next to the interstate today then drove 60 miles and the dash read 38.4 miles to the gal/avg. when I got off the interstate.

Love this car!
FBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #88

wooly willy

Just did 8 hours on the highway with the dash reading 39.9 almost the whole way. Hell yeah, cruise control set between 60-65mph.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #89
mcbrew
Full Access Member

I got 25.7 MPG towing the camper this weekend. All but about 20 miles on that tank were with the trailer in tow. I know I would have gotten 0.5 to 1 MPG better if I didn't have to drive through town to do some shopping on the way home. Not bad though...

Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #90
FBI

Originally Posted by wooly willy View Post
Just did 8 hours on the highway with the dash reading 39.9 almost the whole way. Hell yeah, cruise control set between 60-65mph.
Awesome!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #91
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Awesome!!!
What ev... I'm showing 43 MPG in the display, and that's my commute to work, not some lazy highway drivin'!

Nah, I'm only kidding. Anything better than the EPA's highway ratings is pretty good... and 39 MPG is 17% better than that. Rock on!

My all-time average is still only 36 MPG... but that includes a LOT of trailer towing... so that's my excuse.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #92
FBI

35.6 MPG tank calculation. The dash says 38 MPG even. I love the mileage, love the car, but I am beginning to wonder if the rest of the gauges are that far off.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #93
MoFaux

Name: Mo
Something I have noticed on the MPG gauge is that if you are sitting at idle not moving (ie. at a stop light or parked) the MPG gauge does not add to the calculated value. So, if you do a lot of stop and go driving the gas you are burning while at the lights is not figuring into the overall mileage reported by the in car gauge. This probably will not account for all the difference we see in the gauge compared to actual mileage but it would account for some.

My question is, if the gauge is not registering mileage at 0 MPH, at what speed does it actually start to track the MPG?

The reason I noticed this was that I was sitting parked with the engine running for almost an hour (it was cold outside and I wanted heat and music). I was sitting there thinking, "this is gonna kill my average MPG". But, when I checked it had NO impact at all on the MPG reported by the gauge.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #94
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Interesting... mine DOES steadily go down as my car sits at idle. I'm not sure why yours wouldn't do it, too.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

By the way, I got 25.2 MPG (calculated) on my last tank. 100% of that tank was towing my camper. I thought it would be even lower, because the campground we stayed at was in the hills... and a few times I was cruising uphill at 30 MPH in 2nd gear (35 MPH roads).

Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #95
FBI

36.1 mpg by tank calculation. The dash says 38.0 mpg this time.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #96

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

my meter calculates idle time. took a 80 mile trip this weekend, going north was 38mpg in the heavy rain. going south droppped to 33. wind is everything. been fairly windy since and been stuck at 33 now. My wife drove up north today ( nearly 65 miles or more) and topped 60mpg in her Prius. again, that 35mph south wind blew her along. can;t wait to here the drop coming back against that wind. I hope the direction swings around before she leaves
Old 11-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #97
FBI

34.27 mpg with tank calculation. The dash reads 37.3.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #98
FBI

33.6 mpg by tank calculation this time. The dash reads 36.8mpg. A lot of town and city driving this tank. Coming up on my first oil change.

I have run six tanks of gas through my xD so far and I am getting 34.14 mpg averaged over all six tanks. 1 mile a gallon over sticker.

Love this car!!!

Last edited by FBI; 11-18-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #99

wooly willy

I've been doing mostly stop and go BS around campus, so my average has been 22 on the display. no fun.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #100

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

well, cold is here. 30 or less till spring