Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #21
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Well, in all honesty, people don't tend to drive as smart in this country. Not a personal jab at anyone here... there are good drivers in the US... but not on average. On another forum that I am active on, someone was just posting about their fuel economy when towing a camper at 75 MPH with their VW Golf. In most European countries, there is a lower speed limit for vehicles towing trailers... and they enforce it! I have seen 50 MPH limits or 90km/h speed limits for towing. Here in the US, I have seen plenty of people out on the interstates towing campers at 80+ MPH. I have towed all kinds of trailers, and I have done my share of stupid driving when I was 16-17, but I would never tow something at that speed now that I am as adult.

I think if trailers were limited to lower highway speeds, then car companies might condsider keeping the factory tow rating. However, I also believe it is to sell more profitable trucks and SUVs. They don't have many trucks or SUVs in Europe, due to the price of gas and diesel, so people tow what they need to tow with cars... and small cars at that.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #22

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Do you watch Top Gear? If so, did you see the Caravan episode?

Old 10-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #23
simesxD

Name: 1779rs1
How much does the scamp weigh? It doesn't appear to be lower the back of your D much, so must not be to heavy.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #24
mcbrew
Full Access Member

The Scamp is about 1,200 pounds empty (but with a full propane tank). I estimate that we travel with about 200 pounds of stuff in it. The tongue weight is about 135 pounds at the moment. It had ~175 pounds of tongue weight when I bought it, but I made some changes to reduce it.

The 1,200 pounds number comes from the CAT truck scale where I weighed it. At the time, there was 1,080 pounds on the trailer axle and 135 pounds on the tongue.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #25

TexXBox
Full Access Member

I just received my recall/safety notice from Gulf States Toyota. Seems they miscalculated the weight of my vehicles accessories and provided me with a new sticker to add to my vehicle load limit info on the door jamb. My cargo capacity has now been officially reduced by 9.0 kg or 19.0 lbs. It is recommended that I follow this information as scrupulously as possible as an over capacity vehicle may be unsafe and lead to DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY.

Good thing they let me know. That 19 lbs. could put me over the edge if I'm not careful.

Jeeeeze.......

Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #26
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by TexXBox View Post
I just received my recall/safety notice from Gulf States Toyota. Seems they miscalculated the weight of my vehicles accessories and provided me with a new sticker to add to my vehicle load limit info on the door jamb. My cargo capacity has now been officially reduced by 9.0 kg or 19.0 lbs. It is recommended that I follow this information as scrupulously as possible as an over capacity vehicle may be unsafe and lead to DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY.

Good thing they let me know. That 19 lbs. could put me over the edge if I'm not careful.

Jeeeeze.......
Yeah, i guess this is a problem with their dealer-installed options. I got a sticker last year that reduced the GVWR by 1 pound or 0kg. Yes, the conversion factor is one pound to zero kilograms.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #27

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Well, the notice is for North American vehicles. I guess they don't care if the Canadians are over the limit.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #28
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Ummmm... Canada is in North America.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #29

TexXBox
Full Access Member

I was referring to the fact that they noted a lbs. weight reduction like we use in the States and a 0 kg. reduction like they use in Canada. Both North America just that only the pounds count not the kgs, therefore the States but not Canada.

A stretch I know, not the first time I've worked to hard for a laugh.