Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Name: Anthony
Default Upgraded brakes
Its one of the few mods i did, heres a pic.

1.power slot rotors
2.hawk hps pads
3. painted the calipers with vht 900 degree caliper paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake upgrade.jpg (7.4 KB, 28 views)

Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
xd king
Full Access Member

Name: bob
sweet i have powerslot rotors with project mu HC+ pads(imported from japan)
and extended studs. the project mu pads are the best ive used yet and ive bben through trd,ebc,and some random premium pads.
xd king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
XDevolution
Full Access Member

is there a site for the pads? and how do they work? i just did the front im still tryin to find some decent brakes for the back cus im not beat to go to toyota and pay 350 for drums n shoes especially when i only payed 250 for the front.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
xd king
Full Access Member

Name: bob
i get most of my stuff through ebay and craigslist
xd king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
robbiej
Old Fart
Full Access Member

Name: Rob
nice, I wish they had a rear disc kit for the D.
robbiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Well i did hear toyota came out with a car called the urban cruiser, its just the european version for the xd, they have same chassis, body style, wheel base, etc... there are rear disc on the that car, so i'm assuming if one were junked you can probably do a swap with the rear axles and just change the rotors out to ones of your choice. but that might cost you a pretty penny :/ i also think a brake distributor would be recommended because you dont wanna have all the stopping power still in the front. its alwasys a nice idea for the future.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

i did check for the project mu pads and there the same quality as the hawk hps pads. they have a nice range of applications such as comfort, sport, and autocross driving.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #7

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
I'd love me some EBC brakes again. OE pads turn my gloss black wheels brown
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #8

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Originally Posted by robbiej View Post
nice, I wish they had a rear disc kit for the D.
Originally Posted by XDevolution View Post
Well i did hear toyota came out with a car called the urban cruiser, its just the european version for the xd, they have same chassis, body style, wheel base, etc... there are rear disc on the that car, so i'm assuming if one were junked you can probably do a swap with the rear axles and just change the rotors out to ones of your choice. but that might cost you a pretty penny :/ i also think a brake distributor would be recommended because you dont wanna have all the stopping power still in the front. its alwasys a nice idea for the future.
The Yaris is the same platform. Here is a link for a disk conversion that should work. http://shop.microimageonline.com/Yar...Y-RearDisc.htm

Old 11-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
XDevolution
Full Access Member

the only problem with that is the yaris bolt pattern, ours:5x100 yaris:4x100 -__- theres no hope lol

Old 11-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #10

TexXBox
Full Access Member

That I did not know.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Yea i've done so much research on the XD its insane, the only car that will be able to do a rear axle swap is the urban cruiser, check it out on google images, your gonna be like wow cheap imitation lol

Old 11-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #12
robbiej
Old Fart
Full Access Member

Name: Rob
urban cruiser also come in a 4x4 version, which would be cool to have.
robbiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #13
XDevolution
Full Access Member

you cant't forget that it comes turbo'd to -__- they can can have 1.5l with 8psi boost but they cant do that to an XD

Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
You could do a swap front and rear and go 4 x 100 all the way around and be different.

I haven't kept up with the urban cruiser but I thought the AWD and Turbo was only on their Diesel version? but even show the power wasn't that great. Turbo just there to help effiecency of diesel.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
Turbo just there to help effiecency of diesel.
Not true. I have owned the turbo and non-turbo version of a few different diesel engines. For example: a W123 chassis Mercedes sedan with the turbo diesel has almost 65% more horsepower than the non-turbo version of the same engine. Some examples are more mild, like the 6.5L Chevy diesel, in which the turbo version only has about 20% more power... but the implementation of the turbo on that engine was pretty weak. Aftermarket turbo kits added more power than that.

What a turbo does, in essence, is make the engine behave like it has a higher displacement by cramming more air into the cylinders. This, in turn, allows more fuel to be injected. The up side is that it only uses more fuel when requested, unlike a larger displacement engine, which must inject more fuel all the time to maintain a stoichiometric ratio. Diesels have a much wider working fuel/air ratio, so they typically don't take much of a hit when a turbo is added, unless they are used at high load all the time, like a generator or a boat engine. Car engines are usually at a very low load, so they tend to benefit a lot from being turbocharged.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #16

TexXBox
Full Access Member

I can verify the Mercedes info. The non turbo 123's are SLOW. The first time I drove a non turbo 240 automatic I kept pulling the e-brake release and trying to open the door and paddle with my left foot to help the poor thing out.
I think they were rated at something like 58 HP or so. Great car for parents to buy teenagers. The only car you can drive continuosly at full throttle and not break the speed limit. Well... maybe in school zones... if they're down hill.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
You could do a swap front and rear and go 4 x 100 all the way around and be different.
I would think that you could have the studs pressed out and the hubs re-drilled for the new pattern pretty easily by a competent machine shop. Or with care and a good drill press. Just have to make sure the centering rings are the same diameter or make an adapter.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
OK stand corrected on the turbo thing. I know my Ex Father in law was a truck driver and said they used them on trucks to help with the effiecency. but Semis and car are different I know.

but as far as power I was talking about the Urban Cruiser specificly. I didn't think the power between the Turbo diesel and gas engine (non turbo) were very different. But again I hadn't kept up with the UC to verify anything.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Dammit now I want to see about converting to 4 X 100 have to add that to the long list of things AFTER finishing the thing I started and never finished. I hate the way the car sits now. Should have been painted by now but, money disappeared on my for more impotant reasons. Now I am in planning stages of redoing Air bag set up and interior. We will see.