Go Back   Scion XD Forum > Members Hangout > Introductions

Introductions Are you new to the forums? Come in here and posts a little about ya!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
12xDkD

Name: Kyle
Default New from Atlanta!
Hi guys, I just bought a brand new 2012 xD and I can't wait to start modding it! I plan on adding some HIDs, CAI/short ram, lowering, wheels, and exhaust! So any reviews on brands for any of these parts I'm all ears! Not sure what to look for and any advice would be great!
12xDkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Welcome. Congrats on the purchase.

HID is whatever you want as far as I am concerned. I liked them in mine for the amount of light but I like the stock style halogens better for the actual beam without the scatter. So pulled my HIDs out when the bulbs went

CAI/Short Ram Most people just buy a cheap $25 cone filter from the part store. That's what I did. No need in my opinion to spend hundreds of dollars for a 3inch piece of polished tubing and a filter for minimal gains on these cars.

Lowering How low you looking to go? little lower, mild drop, slammed out? instant adjustability? Performance, looks, show?

Wheels What ever you like and want to look at. And that will fit depending on your lowering technique.

Exhaust Just what ever you think sounds best. Since for the most part that is all the exhaust does on this vehicles. no major performance gains. I am muffler less.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
12xDkD

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
Welcome. Congrats on the purchase.

HID is whatever you want as far as I am concerned. I liked them in mine for the amount of light but I like the stock style halogens better for the actual beam without the scatter. So pulled my HIDs out when the bulbs went

CAI/Short Ram Most people just buy a cheap $25 cone filter from the part store. That's what I did. No need in my opinion to spend hundreds of dollars for a 3inch piece of polished tubing and a filter for minimal gains on these cars.

Lowering How low you looking to go? little lower, mild drop, slammed out? instant adjustability? Performance, looks, show?

Wheels What ever you like and want to look at. And that will fit depending on your lowering technique.

Exhaust Just what ever you think sounds best. Since for the most part that is all the exhaust does on this vehicles. no major performance gains. I am muffler less.
Yeah the CAI/short ram seemed kinda pointless. The car itself doesn't have a lot of power. So I might just go with a cone filter like you said. As far as lowering I was looking at the Tein springs, they seem to give a good 1 1/2 inch drop I believe. And how does it sound without the muffler? How exactly did you take it out? Did you just leave everything after the muffler off? And I like the tC gen 1 wheels, I can't seem to find a set anywhere though!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Name: Thadeus
I have some tc wheels and I'm up the road from you in Chattanooga.
Whack-A-Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by 12xDkD View Post
Yeah the CAI/short ram seemed kinda pointless. The car itself doesn't have a lot of power. So I might just go with a cone filter like you said. As far as lowering I was looking at the Tein springs, they seem to give a good 1 1/2 inch drop I believe. And how does it sound without the muffler? How exactly did you take it out? Did you just leave everything after the muffler off? And I like the tC gen 1 wheels, I can't seem to find a set anywhere though!
Spring wise I can't say on this car but I had Tein on my first gen xb and like the ride.

Exhaust. I HAVE A MANUAL so not sure what the sound would be on an automatic. I pulled the muffler off and cut the inlet pipe off the muffler right next to the muffler and had a 90 degree elbow welded on that points at an angle towars the center of the car and towards the ground. Then rebolted the pipe back in stock. You can have the pipe run differently, but I had (and going back to) air ride and had to aim it that way due to air lines. I am going to redo it and have it exit different and reroute airlines. Sound wise it has a nice tone. To me it doesn't sound ricer/bees in a can sound. It's a little deeper sound and when you get on the gas it has a louder sound but it is no louder than any exhaust you would put on. and when cruising it has a mellow sound. I have my car gutted behind the front seats right now and even with it dumping right under where the spare would be I can hold a normal conversation while doing 70 down the freeway. You hardly hear it. at idle it is also very low.

Best bet is to take a couple of minutes pull it off and drive a short distance and see the sound. and then put it back on. I wouldn't leave it off without fixing the exit. since where the muffler attahces to the pipe near the axle it faces up some it heats up the bottom floor boards and stuff and that can cause the plastic foam piece in the back to melt. But it eould give you an idea of the sound so you can choose

Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
12xDkD

Originally Posted by Whack-A-Mole View Post
I have some tc wheels and I'm up the road from you in Chattanooga.
How much are you looking to sell them for? Are they in good condition? Do you have any pics of them? I also noticed there are like millions of of cone filters, what exactly am I looking for brand wise? Any good ones out there?! Sorry I have so many questions, I just got out of the 4x4 world and it's been awhile since I had a car.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Name: Thadeus
I bought the tc wheels used off Craigslist for 300, but I would like to get 150 for a short sale. Two wheels were curbed when I bought them the other two look fine. I road them for a year with no leaks. I'll work on sending you pics.
Whack-A-Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Welcome to the board.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by 12xDkD View Post
How much are you looking to sell them for? Are they in good condition? Do you have any pics of them? I also noticed there are like millions of of cone filters, what exactly am I looking for brand wise? Any good ones out there?! Sorry I have so many questions, I just got out of the 4x4 world and it's been awhile since I had a car.
My filter was $25 and it is a spectra that has the multisize mounting. it has like 3, 3 1/2, and 4 inch diameter (i believe those are the sizes.) depending on if you take out some of the rubber pieces. I will try and get pictures of the box tonight. and my intake.

Then you just unbolt the MAF from the airbox and slide the filter onas far as it will go and tighten the clamps. then just find a way to mount the filter so it doesn't bounce around. MIne was hanging for a little bit and was ok. but when I put my battery holder back in I used like 2 zipties to loop through one of the mounting holes on the MAF and looped the other over the battery mount bolt. it's not fancy but keeps the filter from bouncing around. I would have mounted better but no time or parts. But since i am working on overhauling the car I am going to make better mount.

There are pics around of someone who changed theirs out so you can see what it looks like. Forgot who did it but they went full Spectra parts and made their own for less than $100 I believe. but I went cheap and left the stock tubing just changed the filter

Last edited by Resolve; 08-02-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Resolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
12xDkD

I bought the tc wheels used off Craigslist for 300, but I would like to get 150 for a short sale. Two wheels were curbed when I bought them the other two look fine. I road them for a year with no leaks. I'll work on sending you pics.
How bad are the curbed ones?

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

My filter was $25 and it is a spectra that has the multisize mounting. it has like 3, 3 1/2, and 4 inch diameter (i believe those are the sizes.) depending on if you take out some of the rubber pieces. I will try and get pictures of the box tonight. and my intake.

Then you just unbolt the MAF from the airbox and slide the filter onas far as it will go and tighten the clamps. then just find a way to mount the filter so it doesn't bounce around. MIne was hanging for a little bit and was ok. but when I put my battery holder back in I used like 2 zipties to loop through one of the mounting holes on the MAF and looped the other over the battery mount bolt. it's not fancy but keeps the filter from bouncing around. I would have mounted better but no time or parts. But since i am working on overhauling the car I am going to make better mount.

There are pics around of someone who changed theirs out so you can see what it looks like. Forgot who did it but they went full Spectra parts and made their own for less than $100 I believe. but I went cheap and left the stock tubing just changed the filter
Thanks for the input! I was looking at that and was wondering how I would do that. I'll take a look around and see what I can find. And I saw spectre had a couple different filters at autozone. I might go an pick one of those up.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

get the spectra with multiple size options. I got a spectra the first time that was like a standard size and it didn't fit the MAF. and Had to get a second one.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
12xDkD

get the spectra with multiple size options. I got a spectra the first time that was like a standard size and it didn't fit the MAF. and Had to get a second one.
Thanks for the input!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #13

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

Name: Evan
ditto on the spectra filter. i built my intake all from Autozone for about $60. filter, tubing and connectors. took about an hour to build and install. came out nice. i have pics on my page.

and as far as exhaust goes. i went the same route as Resolve. i just had my muffler cut off and then ran straight pipe out the back with a tip. personally sounds better than spending $300 on a new muffler. deep sound in low gears and evens out at highway speeds. not overly loud inside the car either. i get a lot of compliments on it. people assume its really fast. lol

Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
12xDkD

Originally Posted by 1sweetxd View Post
ditto on the spectra filter. i built my intake all from Autozone for about $60. filter, tubing and connectors. took about an hour to build and install. came out nice. i have pics on my page.

and as far as exhaust goes. i went the same route as Resolve. i just had my muffler cut off and then ran straight pipe out the back with a tip. personally sounds better than spending $300 on a new muffler. deep sound in low gears and evens out at highway speeds. not overly loud inside the car either. i get a lot of compliments on it. people assume its really fast. lol
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely have to try it out and see how that goes when I get a day off!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
12xDkD

PM sent.