Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
TulsaPoke

Name: TulsaPoke
Default Water Pump Replacement
My 08 xD started making a racket and had antifreeze on the serpentine belt. Antifreeze was also being sprayed off the belt onto the hood. The interwebs seem to be rife with these problems on Scions, with rumors of them even having a TSB. Alas mine went at 74k miles so I had mine done on my dime.

What i learned... There is a new water pump part with a different part number that is much beefier looking and with less plastic than the old one. My mechanic said the old design looked weak and obviously failed badly. The new pump looked like a hoss by comparison.

The other issue was several posts said that the engine needed to be pulled to change it; and I saw prices up in the $800-900 range mentioned in forums. My mechanic said he had to remove a motor mount and move the engine a bit to get to it but he laughed when I told him some pull the engine for this. He charged me under $400 for parts and labor.

The car is quiet as the day I bought it and should go easily 100k miles on that pump. I just wanted to post my findings so I might help others on here since these pumps seem to be a point of failure on an otherwise great car.
TulsaPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
emech

Name: Enter your name or name you wish to be refered to as.
Default Waterpump
Sounds like you didnt take it to the dealer? I think mine is just a rotor on the pump, but given the pain it sounds like it is to get in there might as well have the updated one put in. don't understand why simple fixes 10 years ago are now major $$$ problems.
emech is offline   Reply With Quote