Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

macko_macko

Name: Macko
Default My new Scion
Hi Guys I just got a 2011 Scion XD Super White, and im looking for Mods to do on him (its a DUDE, lol). Anyways, im only looking for exterior and interior mods, nothing on performance, other than suspension. I have no idea what to do, or where to look. I was hoping you could give me some ideas.

Right now im looking to buy some rims, but im not sure. OK im a computer geek, not much of a car savy...so you get an idea on my backgroud. I thought buying rims was just: "ohh look at those rims, i want those" but now i understand that i have to look for weight and stuff. So what would be a nice Dimenssion for the car 17" or 18", and what would be the weight i should be looking to if im not going to do any mod on the performance of the engine, i want to mantain the gas millage on the economic side.

PLEASE HELP!!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110929-00072.jpg (97.3 KB, 35 views)
macko_macko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Question
Originally Posted by macko_macko View Post
Hi Guys I just got a 2011 Scion XD Super White, and im looking for Mods to do on him (its a DUDE, lol). Anyways, im only looking for exterior and interior mods, nothing on performance, other than suspension. I have no idea what to do, or where to look. I was hoping you could give me some ideas.

Right now im looking to buy some rims, but im not sure. OK im a computer geek, not much of a car savy...so you get an idea on my backgroud. I thought buying rims was just: "ohh look at those rims, i want those" but now i understand that i have to look for weight and stuff. So what would be a nice Dimenssion for the car 17" or 18", and what would be the weight i should be looking to if im not going to do any mod on the performance of the engine, i want to mantain the gas millage on the economic side.

PLEASE HELP!!.
If you're looking to maintain your fuel economy you might want to stick with 16's to save weight. You might still save some weight with the 17's or 18's since the steel wheels are kinda heavy. But probably not since you will be running wider tires. Basic performance mods (bolt ons) will actually free up power and you might see a slight boost in fuel economy.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #3

jester4666
Full Access Member

Name: Jeff
welcome. i have 18s on mine and i'm still averaging 31mpg in mixed driving.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

macko_macko

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
If you're looking to maintain your fuel economy you might want to stick with 16's to save weight. You might still save some weight with the 17's or 18's since the steel wheels are kinda heavy. But probably not since you will be running wider tires. Basic performance mods (bolt ons) will actually free up power and you might see a slight boost in fuel economy.
Like which basic performance mods...Also what you will call heavy rims, and what would'nt. Cause i have seen 18 pounds, 20...whatsthe weight of the OEM 16" alloy rims, cause thats the one the car came with...

I appreciate the help.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #5

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by macko_macko View Post
Like which basic performance mods...Also what you will call heavy rims, and what would'nt. Cause i have seen 18 pounds, 20...whatsthe weight of the OEM 16" alloy rims, cause thats the one the car came with...

I appreciate the help.
this is just my opinion, but once you get over 20lbs for rims, they are heavy to me. basic performance mods like cold air intakes, redone exhaust, ect. can honestly give you more mpg. problem is the driver likes the added performance and feel and ruins it by driving spirited lol. even with all of my mods i still average 34-36mpg. and thats not even trying to drive economical.
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #6

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Welcome Macko.

Not much off the shelf for the xD, but dig around in here a bit and you'll likely get some great DIY ideas.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #7

macko_macko

Originally Posted by ThisorThatxD View Post
this is just my opinion, but once you get over 20lbs for rims, they are heavy to me. basic performance mods like cold air intakes, redone exhaust, ect. can honestly give you more mpg. problem is the driver likes the added performance and feel and ruins it by driving spirited lol. even with all of my mods i still average 34-36mpg. and thats not even trying to drive economical.
I like where this is going....look at me talking all car-slang and stuff...lol
So a basic mod like cold air intake will give me a better millage per gallon? I live in Puerto Rico, so no much of Fast & Furios where im going to drive, so dont worry about getting "spirited". What else would be a basic performance mod?

About the rims im looking to this one:
http://www.msrwheels.com/wheels_detail_specs.cfm?id=450

or this one:
http://www.msrwheels.com/wheels_detail_specs.cfm?id=428
Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #8

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
go with a 17 inch rim. they fill in pretty nicely and aren't too expensive. see if you can track down some used springs. I went TRD and like the drop and ride. 3" cone filter from Autozone to open up the revs too. that's a MUST HAVE.
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #9

macko_macko

Originally Posted by ThisorThatxD View Post
So, having cold air intake is gonna give me a better millage, i thought that was just for racing...what else would be basic performance mod?, this is good, look at me talking all car-slang, lol

The rims im looking to buy are this:
http://www.msrwheels.com/auto_car_wheels.cfm?id=450

or
http://www.msrwheels.com/auto_car_wheels.cfm?id=428
Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #10

Queena

Name: Katrina
yay on the super white 2011! (i have one too lol)
Queena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #11

YELOSUB
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Tim
Welcome aboard and congrats on the xD...I had a long a$$ response typed out and I accidentally erased it so I said screw it...Spend a few hours searching through all the old threads on here and I'm sure you will find the answers you are looking for...

And for what it's worth, I have got 18x8's that are fairly heavy, a big a$$ custom built sound system, and a ragtop, and still average around 33-34 mpg with mixed city/freeway driving...Oh BTW, I have an automatic...

Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #12

macko_macko

another question. The car is fairly new, only 3 weeks on the road, making mods like Cold Air intake, Lowering springs, rims and stuff wont void the Toyota Warranty? Just wondering...By the way, keep coming the comments, ill post pics of avery mod i make so you give me your feedback. Also i think i will go with the 17 inch MSR 166 model rims, black and silver.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #13

YELOSUB
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Tim
Mods will only void the warranty if they can prove that the mod caused the damage...

Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #14

macko_macko

What lowering kit is better? Should i stay with TRD or can i go with another one? Should i buy the kit with the sock absorbers, or can i go with the stock one and buy for now only the springs? Also i though the cold air intake was only for racing, does it actually give you better millage?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #15

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

it's best to use shocks matched to the springs. a stiffer spring leads to bouncing which will turn the oil in the stock shock into foam and premature wear.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #16

macko_macko

But TRD springs with the stock schock absorbers (until i have the money to buy te TRD ones) is a bad choice?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #17

xDizzle
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Kevin
Get coilovers man they will be worth it dnt spend money on springs unless u dnt have enough for coils.. I have springs but now I want to be lower lol But that's just me
xDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
C4W22

Originally Posted by YELOSUB View Post
Mods will only void the warranty if they can prove that the mod caused the damage...
This....read up on the magnuson moss act....dealerships swindle people all the time out of warranties citing aftermarket parts as justified cause, and they only get away with this because the consumer allows them to do so....For them to prove that your aftermarket part voided the warranty is a hard case to press...let them know that you know about the magnuson moss act and they'll cave with ease.

Also, I believe they will cover TRD parts for as long as your warranty lasts, they won't warranty the aftermarket parts of course.
C4W22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #19

macko_macko

So i decided to go with the 17inch rims. Here is a pics of the one im getting
http://www.msrwheels.com/auto_car_wheels.cfm?id=428 . Probably gonna get them by the end of the month.

And also, this weekend im painting the calipers with the 3R3 color of Toyota. Im gonna post the pics later. So its starting, keep coming the ideas!!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #20

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

TRD springs on stock shocks would work. But the overall feel of teh car might be better with teh shocks. considering the magnitude of install, save your money and do it right THE FIRST TIME.