Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
cvriv

Name: CVRIV
Default Thinking about buying a Scion XD,...
Gonna try and keep this short and sweet.

#1: About what RPM is the motor at when driving along at 75mph?

#2: Is the Scion nav system really worth $2000?!?!? How many skip this and just go for either the regular Alpine or the Alpine nav system?

#3: No fogs lights!!! I could configure in fog lights online. does this mean the xD doesnt come with fog lights?!?!?

#4: The arm rest that can be added to the car, is it flimsy? Cheap? Worth it to add? Do I have to worry about it breaking x amount of time down the road?

#5: I want to get the 18" silver TRD wheels with the car. I love the way they look. Any reason not to get them?

#6: I live in NJ. Could I get a better price on the xD if I went out of state to say PA?!?! I know I would still have to pay NJ tax but what about the overal cost of the car? Im looking at 22000 with its current config.

#7: How does the xD compare to the Yaris? I can get the yaris loaded for about $20,000. Is it much smaller than the xD? The Yaris has fog lights too.

#8: How long would it take for them to customize my scion xD? I spoke to a sales rep and he said 4 - 6 days? Is this true?

#9: Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks a ton!
cvriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
From the top of my head:

1) about 3750 - 4000 rpm

2) Don't have it, but since factory installed it is covered under warrenty. Other than that can't help. But most people I think just get aftermarket. Alot of times either cheaper or better product or both.

3) xD does not come standard with Fog Light pre Installed. Has location and option to buy not standard feature.

4) From what I recall the Arm rest are pretty decent.

5) Nope just personal preference.

6) Probably not. Scion is, or at least used to be, what they call pure pricing. No haggling what is on the sticker you pay. Basically they keep the cost of these cars as low as possible without wiggle room to negotiate.

7) Smaller car and Smaller engine. Yaris has 1.5L engine. If I recall it is the same engine that was in the 1st gen xB. Suspension componants of yaris and xD are the same. Other than that don't know any comparision points. I would drive a Yaris if that matters. I actually want a Yaris.

8 ) It depends on the dealer and what is in stock. The car comes to the port with bare essentials and then some stuff maybe put on there and some stuff maybe put on at the dealer.

9) Not alot of aftermarket support for the xD. A few things and slowly building, but not alot. So If you are looking for performance go to a different vehicle. But since looking at Yaris and xD I would say that isn't your driving factor.

THose are what I can think of off the top of my head.

My Question, Why the obsession with fog lights? lol

Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #3

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
I went and bought fog lights from wwwtrdsparks.com I love them and they are pretty easy to install. As for the arm rest, I just went to ebay and bought one that bolts down into the cup holder between the two seats. Its pretty sturdy plus this one can open up and be a center console as well. I only paid about $30 + S&H, i will post a picture here in a bit. If power isnt an issue with your decision then I say go ahead and get the xD. It gets pretty good MPG. I have a lead foot and and even when driving like that I can still average 32+ MPG, just the other day I tried to drive properly and I hit a daily average of 40, I will post a pic of that to show you also. I havent driven many different vehicles but out of the ones I have, I would say I like the feel of this one the most.

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #4

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
#1: yea 3750 sounds about right.

#2: def. not worth it. buy other aftermarket

#3: get it from trd sparks where its cheaper.

#4: dont have one but heard its on of the best accessories to have

#5: preference

#6: i think they are pretty much the same.

#7: its not worth it if your planin to build your own.

#8: varies.

#9: I personally would go with a yaris 4 door hatch over the xd but if your not modding much then xd has a better platform than the yaris. and there are nice parts coming out for the xd but its a slow process. but they do have all the basic parts available. headers, exhaust, intake, coilovers and spring and so on.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
CWB211
Full Access Member

Name: Gregg
1) I rarely drive that fast, but yes I think about 3500rpm is where it was at the few times I did.

2) Agree with the rest. Its not worth it. Get an aftermarket one if you really want one.

3) Again, trdsparks.com is the place to get them. There are also Blazer Fogs that are HIDs if you are going that route. Around the same price too.

4) I would recommend getting one of the aftermarket armrests. I bought mine from zetaproducts and I think its better then the stock one you can buy... it has compartments and was cheaper too.

5) Nothing wrong with those, but the only thing I would say is that they are expensive compared to what you can get by purchasing some wheels aftermarket.

6) Price is pretty much the same. I live in PA and searched around prior also.

7) I can't speak to much about the Yaris, but the frame is the same as the xD. I do believe that the Yaris is only a 1.6 liter engine though. I prefer the xD over the Yaris, personally.

8) I wouldn't know, I did everything myself on my xD.

9) Like others have said, there isn't a ton of aftermarket support for the xD, but there is enough to get you bye on most things you would want to do. Other then that I think they are a decent car for the money. And yeah, I average around 37 mpg still after all my mods so they are definitely a gas saver.
CWB211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #6

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
Well the only reason ii would choose the yaris over the d is because the aftermarket support isn't as high as the yaris and reminds me of the corolla sportivo vut yea xd is a very torqy motor. Its very fun to play with

Last edited by xd_kidd; 10-12-2011 at 09:41 AM.
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
#1: 3000 RPM with the auto.

#2: IMO no, you can get a better aftermarket NAV system for the money or use the one on your phone for free.

#3: No it does not, TRD sparks sell the OE fogs for a good price though and they are cake to install.

#4: The armrest is fairly sturdy, I do not not personally have one but I'm kinda cheap too.

#5: I think Enkei (sp) makes the TRD wheels, you could maybe find which aftermarket wheels they are sourced from and buy those and then install some TRD center caps. Price difference may not justify the extra work though.

#6: If you're throwing a bunch of post purchase parts on the car some dealers will work with you to sweeten deal. Their is quite bit of markup on buying parts from the dealer so they have some wiggle room on the price.

#7: Chassis is the same but the Yaris does feel cheaper on the inside and comes with the buzz happy 1.5L inline 4. IMO if you like the styling stay with the xD.

#8: Sounds about right if they are including shipping for parts in that time frame.

#9: Look into the Ford Fiesta..if you like the styling it is a much better car IMO.

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 AM ----------

BTW you guys really are turning almost 3800 RPM with the manual? I had no idea the gearing was so horrible with the 5 speed..
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Yep that is the manual. RPM range running at about 75 mph is in the 3500 to 3750 range IIRC. The first gen xB runs at 4000 at 80 mph in maunal.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #9

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

1. in my 5spd its more like 3250rpm. i drive that speed all the time but ill have to do it again to make sure im not fibbing lol.
2. aftermarket or just be cheap like me and buy a gps.
3. everyones got this answer.
4. wouldnt know. honestly i think it would do me more harm then good.
5. besides price theres no reason not to really. havent heard anything bad about them.
6. ppl got this down as well.
7. not an expert on the yaris, but i do wish we had the same aftermarket support.
8. bought used so i wouldnt know.
9. its a car you have to love. its definitely has the fun factor when youre driving around. the motor is quite jumpy, and if you do decide to mod it, the custom feel is always a plus. plus, there are hardly any modded xd's around, so we are rare commodities lol.
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #10

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
Yaris has way more tunability at the cost of low power ratings.

And yes, the suspensions between both cars are similar, they are NOT the same. Yaris uses a much softer spring combo over the xD. The rear suspension beam is not as beefy on the Yaris. Like everyone else, just get a $100 GPS. They are handy but not worth the money if you know what I mean. I used to sell them.
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
cvriv

Thanks for the info! I will have to do some more research. The only thing that is seriously bothering me right now if the high rpm at 75mph. I do a lot of highway driving at 75mph. What is the redline for the XD? This has me really nervous becaus eI am coming from a 2.5L 4Cyl Tacoma 4x4. That truck would be around 3000 - 3100rpm when doing around 75pmh. The truck redlines at 6000rpm I think. Driving liek that in my truck was harsh. The truck at a lot of gas because of it and in general.

Im driving a loaner car while Toyota processes my buy back check for the Tacoma. The loaner car being a Corrola S. Its a very nice car but holy hell! A 75mph the car is doing 4000rpm!! Thats nuts. I truly think the dealer has the lock locked one gear down to prevent people from speeding in the car. That and the car slowing down a lot faster than it should when letting go of the gas are the signs that the dealer governed the car. I atleast hope they did because that car is annoying to drive. I really hope the XD doesnt drive like this.

When you guys are driving on the highway at around 75 do you feel the like the egine is working really hard to keep the car moving at that speed? What is the redline for the XD's? My mothers focus is awesome on the highway. That car buzzes along easily and gets great mpg. But I hate fords

About the fog lights,... I love fog lights A vehicle isn't a vehicle without fog lights. When looking back through the rear view at a vehicle with fogs lights,... its just awesome.

Im not looking to upgrade my car with aftermarket stuff. I just want a nice car that great on gas and is a hatch back so I can drive my dogs around with me.

I will research everything to guys mentioned. I have to meet the toyota guy next thursday to get my check and sign the truck over to them. With that money im going to purchase something.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Damn wheels are cheaper if you buy aftermarket! Can I get some wheel info from you guys? I checked prices at tirerack.com, is there a better place to shop for wheels and tires? Are the front and rear tires of the same width? What about offset? What should I look for?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by cvriv View Post
Thanks for the info! I will have to do some more research. The only thing that is seriously bothering me right now if the high rpm at 75mph. I do a lot of highway driving at 75mph. What is the redline for the XD? This has me really nervous becaus eI am coming from a 2.5L 4Cyl Tacoma 4x4. That truck would be around 3000 - 3100rpm when doing around 75pmh. The truck redlines at 6000rpm I think. Driving liek that in my truck was harsh. The truck at a lot of gas because of it and in general.

Im driving a loaner car while Toyota processes my buy back check for the Tacoma. The loaner car being a Corrola S. Its a very nice car but holy hell! A 75mph the car is doing 4000rpm!! Thats nuts. I truly think the dealer has the lock locked one gear down to prevent people from speeding in the car. That and the car slowing down a lot faster than it should when letting go of the gas are the signs that the dealer governed the car. I atleast hope they did because that car is annoying to drive. I really hope the XD doesnt drive like this.

When you guys are driving on the highway at around 75 do you feel the like the egine is working really hard to keep the car moving at that speed? What is the redline for the XD's? My mothers focus is awesome on the highway. That car buzzes along easily and gets great mpg. But I hate fords

About the fog lights,... I love fog lights A vehicle isn't a vehicle without fog lights. When looking back through the rear view at a vehicle with fogs lights,... its just awesome.

Im not looking to upgrade my car with aftermarket stuff. I just want a nice car that great on gas and is a hatch back so I can drive my dogs around with me.

I will research everything to guys mentioned. I have to meet the toyota guy next thursday to get my check and sign the truck over to them. With that money im going to purchase something.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Damn wheels are cheaper if you buy aftermarket! Can I get some wheel info from you guys? I checked prices at tirerack.com, is there a better place to shop for wheels and tires? Are the front and rear tires of the same width? What about offset? What should I look for?
I'm going to take a break from my microbiology to do a little education here. Both the Corolla and xD either have a 4 speed auto or 5 speed manual as a transmission option..combine that with some low gearing and that is why you end up turning so many RPM at 75+ MPH. Fuel economy wise you should still knock down around 34 MPG even at those high speeds. While you can tell the engine is spinning quite fast it is by no means under a bind. With the stock exhaust system you should not hear any sort of drone either. Small inline 4's are designed to run around that high RPM for highway use too. I hate to sound anti xD (I mean I own one after all) but I would look into the Fiesta or maybe the Velostar if the RPM thing bugs you. They turn a little less RPM at 75+ MPH thanks to their six speed (both auto and manual) transmissions.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #13
cvriv

Well that sucks. I really like the XD. When I was driving the corolla off the highway I was getting great gas mileage. As soon as I took the car onto the highway,... I swear I burned almost if not a half a tank of gas. It just didnt seem right. I guess I will have to get the dealer to take the car up to speed for me to see for myself. What does the car redline at?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:30 AM   #14
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by cvriv View Post
Well that sucks. I really like the XD. When I was driving the corolla off the highway I was getting great gas mileage. As soon as I took the car onto the highway,... I swear I burned almost if not a half a tank of gas. It just didnt seem right. I guess I will have to get the dealer to take the car up to speed for me to see for myself. What does the car redline at?
I think 6K is the red line. As for burning half a tank of gas in the Corolla...well that is in your head is all I can say. That car still pulls easily over 30 MPG at interstate speeds.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #15

jester4666
Full Access Member

Name: Jeff
did some highway driving last night in my xD. and yeah, the auto runs around 3000rpm at 75...at 85 only about 3250. no bind on the engine at all, a little push of the gas and off we go. i'm only getting around 32mpg in my daily commute, but i'm pretty satisfied with it.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #16
CWB211
Full Access Member

I do have to admit that new Velostar is amazing. Drove one at our Hyundai dealer a week ago. That little 1.6 liter engine is awesome.

As far as wheels go there are a lot of sites out there but the two that I would recommend as reputable are tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com.

You want 5x100 lug pattern, anything wider then 8" usually takes some modification to use nicely. And as far as offsets the number to look for are between 35-42 usually. Just as a rough guideline.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #17
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

I too tested the car last night. I have a manual. at 75 MPH you are turning approx 3250. at 80 MPH approx 3500. The red line is approx 6250. As stated you still get roughly 30 mpg +/- a few MPG.

Running at 75mph or even 80mph. the car isnt struggling or sounding like it is over revving. and you can step on it at those speeds and accelerate decently.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

And with these smaller engines they could change the gearing to run lower rpm at higher speed and probably get better gas mileage, but then the engine maybe performing below it's optimal power band and make it sluggish if you need to try to pass someone and so on. Like stated this engines are designed to run at a little higher rpm so they create power as needed. Without testing it the power band for these cars manual tranny wise are roughly 2500 to about 5000/5500 rpm. again that is without testing and just from top of my head from last I checked. So with that being the case running at 3250 to 3500 is inside the engines power band and can provide optimal performance and fuel enconomy

Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #18

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
Wow, Veloster is a 1.6?! that's alot of weight to be pushing around. Jus tthe hood is ridiculously heavy. Honestly tho, I know we are all in a hurry, But I have been keeping me highway speeds at 70. waaaaaay better highway mileage

as for foglights, I can't do it since I made the left panel into an airvent
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #19
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Wow, Veloster is a 1.6?! that's alot of weight to be pushing around. Jus tthe hood is ridiculously heavy. Honestly tho, I know we are all in a hurry, But I have been keeping me highway speeds at 70. waaaaaay better highway mileage

as for foglights, I can't do it since I made the left panel into an airvent
The 1.6 I think produces more power than our 1.8.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
CWB211
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
The 1.6 I think produces more power than our 1.8.
Yeah, their 1.6 liter gets 138 hp I think, and better mpg.