Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
gochak@

Name: Kevin
Default Premature Brake Wear?
Can anyone tell be if they have had problems with their brake pads wearing out to quickly.
gochak@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #2

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

Name: Mike
Not me, at 10,000 miles the tech said I still had over 80% pad left!

SciFion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
I replaced my pads at 55,000 miles... I upgraded to the TRD's...

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
I would word the question a little differently:

Are the brake pads on your xD wearing out faster than the brake pads on your previous car?

When TheLittleDeviant says he replaced his at 55k, I would want to know if his previous car lasted 20k or 100k. See what I mean?

It is not unusual for one person to wear pads out 10x faster than another person. It has a lot to do with how you drive and where you drive.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #5

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I would word the question a little differently:

Are the brake pads on your xD wearing out faster than the brake pads on your previous car?

When TheLittleDeviant says he replaced his at 55k, I would want to know if his previous car lasted 20k or 100k. See what I mean?

It is not unusual for one person to wear pads out 10x faster than another person. It has a lot to do with how you drive and where you drive.
Good point, unfortunately I can not be of much help as on my previous 2 cars I had placed about 40,000 miles on each one before selling them and did not replace them on either vehicle.

Might I also add though that apples need to be compared to apples. The brake pad thickness on either of my last vehicles is most likely not the same as my xD.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Originally Posted by TheLittleDeviant View Post
Might I also add though that apples need to be compared to apples. The brake pad thickness on either of my last vehicles is most likely not the same as my xD.
You are correct. What I really meant was this: If you are complaining about short brake pad/rotor life, did you also get shorter than average life out of your previous car's brakes?

A few cars ago, I drove a 1983 Mercedes 300D. I would rarely get more than 40k miles out of a set of brakes... and I drove it for 210,000 miles. However, that wasn't unusual for that model. My next car, a 2003 VW Golf, reached 125,000 miles before I had to replace the original pads. Because of my commute and the way that I drive, I typically get better than average life out of my brakes.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #7

GuitarCrazyo

Name: Enter your name or name you wish to be refered to as.
Default Premature Brake Wear
Nice article... we really need the next step though... categorizing the pads available on the market with the categories listed in the article. Otherwise, we just have to decifer the brake pad manufacturers marketing.
GuitarCrazyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 AM   #8

D.Plork

Name: test
Send a message via ICQ to D.Plork
Default Premature Brake Wear
Actually many autp part manufacturers do this. For example when GM came out with the the Chevy Malibu they had semi-mettalic pads. After 1,000s of complaints they released an organic brake pad that created less brake dust.
D.Plork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
NikoXD

Name: Nik
I think my front pads are already worn at 24K miles. The low pad sensor scraping just started making noise last night. I called the dealership and ask them why the pads are already worn at 24K and they said it's my driving style. I think it's BS...I've owned 3 other Toyotas and this is the quickest pad wear I have ever had. All the other cars pad wear was around 45-50K miles.
NikoXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #10

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Welcome to the site Niko, as I said earlier, my OE pads made it to 55K before I upgraded to the TRD's, might I also add that the OE pads had not started squealing yet... I just wanted the brake upgrade.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
NikoXD

Name: Nik
I am also going to upgrade the pads and go away from the OE.

Thanks.
NikoXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #12

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by NikoXD View Post
I am also going to upgrade the pads and go away from the OE.

Thanks.
You should contact Tim from TRDSparks, I know he can get the TRD pads at a good price.

He is one of our preferred vendors.