Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
dminner
Full Access Member

Name: Dan
Default Broken headlight on new car not cover because car has been lowered, what a joke
So, I have had my car for a couple of months now, bought it new. It has been cold so I have been taking it through an autowash or using a spray wash. Now that it is nice out I hand washed it yesterday. When I did, I noticed something I had never seen before…a huge gap in between the passenger headlight and hood. In fact the whole headlight is somewhat sunken into the body. In fact the bumper is on the body a little crocked all together.

I took it to the dealer to have it checked out. After a couple of hours they called me and said the lower headlight tab was broke. They also said they could not cover it under warranty because the car had been “modified” and that the diagnostic was going to cost me $45 because it was deemed my fault. All I have done is lower the car.

Of course, no one in the service department can come up with an explanation of how a suspension can affect a headlight. So I refused to pay the service fee unless some could explain it to me. At that point it got heated and the sales manager came out. I said the story. He took the side of the service crew and asked them to open the hood so he could see the problem (you can’t even see the problem because it is the lower bracket). At that point are started banging on the wheel well asking him how the suspension on the other side of this metal wheel well is going to effect a headlight? At that point he looked dumbfound and realized it was all ridiculous, however he didn’t back down. I got out of the service bill, but they won’t warranty the headlight.

At that point their story changed and they said, well you must have taken the bumper off to break the headlight tab. I HAVE NEVER REMOVED THE BUMPER. They just responded with, you must have. I just grabbed my keys pissed off and left.

What a joke. I have been a loyal scion customer (3rd Scion I have bought) so it just pisses me off that they wont fix something that came defective. In fact, in the process of diagnosing the problem the bumper is now on straight which tells me it was never on right from the factory to begin with.
dminner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #2

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

Name: Chris
damn sounds like an eventful day. my headlight tab was busted to from a previous accident they failed to mention when selling me my car. they tried to sell me a housing for like 300 something. i said no thx, got a new housing off ebay for like 150, and had em install it all for free.

idk how in the world they got that idea in their heads other than to skip out of warrenty work.
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #3

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
There's a law in this though I can't remember which one it is. But it states unless they can prove that ur modifcation lead to somesort of car malfunction. They should honor the warranty

Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

firstkingofbeer
Full Access Member

Name: Enter your name or name you wish to be refered to as.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
firstkingofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
^^^Yep the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act basically says they can not choose to not cover warrenty work if the modification you have done does not affect the warrent work needed. If they are not going to cover it they need to show proof that you modification, in this case the lowering of the vehicle, cause the headlight housing to break.

They are going to give you crap all day and hope that you walk away and not fight it. I would try to get ahold of the regional scion rep and have them come check it out. If you really want to fight it and can afford it go with an attorney. but that would be more just to screw the dealer and give them a bad name.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #6

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
despite teh fact you are arguing with Scion and you still have a broken headlight. get a radio backstrap and fix the tab for now. I did that when I wrecked my car and that stayed that way for over a year. Despite that, I more miffed that my headlight tops are faded and orange peeled
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote