Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
krc26

Name: krc26
Default squealing shims?
Wife's '08 xd has a bunch of squealing (metal on metal) going on about mid-brake travel. She took it over to Midas and they are saying that the shims were out of their groove and corrected.

That lasted about a month and the squealing is back - should go back to dealer to be checked out or something anyone with some wheel tech knowledge would be able to handle?

Thx
krc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Name: Anthony
Originally Posted by krc26 View Post
Wife's '08 xd has a bunch of squealing (metal on metal) going on about mid-brake travel. She took it over to Midas and they are saying that the shims were out of their groove and corrected.

That lasted about a month and the squealing is back - should go back to dealer to be checked out or something anyone with some wheel tech knowledge would be able to handle?

Thx
that def sounds like sumtn that is happening to my brakes. when its real quiet out and i pull up to my house slowly it sounds like my whole brake system is going to fall apart. i checked the pad there is half left, idk if maybe its dust build up do to the pad compound or what. its just so annoying and i hope im not damaging anything.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
krc26

hey XDevolution

we've been going there for years and they are up front with us about what is and isn't needed

per the mechanic, the brakes are fine, but shim is loose in the groove where it sits. they adjusted but it returned

thought it was brake dust too, but a quick undercarriage wash cleared it up for only a day or two

anyone else going back to the dealer for assistance w/this or just going to have to live (without going deaf) with it?

krc
Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Replace the shims.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #5

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Might also try some anti-sqeal grease on the contact points of the pads and hardware to the caliper and frame. A lot of aftermarket pads come with it to use at time of installation to prevent noise. You can usually find some in little packets at major auto parts stores for a buck or two.

This is assuming that it is not the brake wear "sensor" tab riveted to the pad causing the issue. They are designed to make noise when the pads wear to a certain point and if they start making contact early are next to impossible to shut up.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
krc26

Thanks for the suggestions Texx and Cxt - when going hard on the brake pedal, no problem. happening mid-brake travel and only after running for a few miles, then all the time
pads are fine, replaced at 36K (she rides the brakes a lot and we're hilly here) only at 44k now.

other than that, car has been great
Old 09-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Name: Anthony
im just getting new pads ima need them in a few the hawk hps wore out way to fast, i know i drive spirited but damn the pad looks eaten up.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #8

htheduck

Name: Howard
for a possible quick fix,
drive the car backwards at 20-25 mph then slam on the brakes and see if any debris clears up.
if not, the above suggestions are fine.

htheduck is offline   Reply With Quote