Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Audio/Interior Electronics

Audio/Interior Electronics Questions, tips/advice, comments and all things about car audio and other interior gagets.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
mikejsmith1985

Name: Michael
Default Rearview Cameras
So anyone on here have a rearview camera installed and want to share how they ran their wire?

My initial thoughts are to trace the route for the rear windshield fluid nozzle and mount the camera on the underside of the spoiler, not sure if that will really be feasible though.

So I'm looking for suggestions...

Thanks!
mikejsmith1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Do you use your rear wiper?

Alot of people, expecially xBers take their wipers out and then fill the hole with a rear view camera. then you would just run the wires along the same path as the wires for the wiper.

That's what I plan on doing since i will need a rearview after my mods are finished in the rear. I took the wiper off like one of the first things since I never used it and it rattled with subs.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
consider our rear window is not flat. So you'll be making sure you don't back into any airplanes flying over....uner the spoiler facing DOWN tha back of the car is the best way. Or next to the hatch release button where the OEM one goes. You'll see a little indentation there....
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
^^^Ahh Touche on the window thing. Maybe I can do it for a sorta upskirt shot on the big trucks that ride around town. lol.

OH well I will do it for looks I hate the hole and the plug in there now. Mabye I can add a 4th brake light. but that sounds dumb.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
mikejsmith1985

I didn't notice the indention on the lift gate by the release. I have an 08 was the rearview camera available then? Either way I like the idea of the spoiler mount becasue it keeps it out of the weather and will hopefully be less prone to vandelism as it will be "hidden" or at least I think it will...

Does anyone have experience removing the spoiler? I haven't done it yet so I don't know what exactly to expect, but I think I'm going to have to remove it to get the wire routed.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
mikejsmith1985

Pulled the spoiler off today, ran the camera wire through an existing hole in the frame and routed the wire through the rubber grommet that the third brake light wires are routed through. Then I ran through the headliner to the passenger side plastic down to the service hole for the passenger brake light. From there I pulled the wire to the strut tower from that access panel. Finally I ran Dow the wheel well area to the door sills all the way to the dash.

Hope this helps someone out down the line!