Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
TannerTAKLarson

Name: Tanner
Default Turbo the xD
Just a question, I am extremely to upgrading my engine and performance, however, I was wondering what it would take to put a turbo on the xD if possible at all? I know the engine bay is small but there is space on the sides and front of the engine.

Thanks in Advance.
TannerTAKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #2

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
do a 2ZZ swap instead. would prolly cost the same and you'll get better future potential
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
xd king
Full Access Member

Name: bob
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
do a 2ZZ swap instead. would prolly cost the same and you'll get better future potential
he speaks the truth and the 2zz has lots of avalible aftermarket now
and somebody has already swapped the 2zz so it is possible
xd king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
x3

But to answer your question yes you can put a turbo on these engines was done it Puerto Rico. but I believe the guy blew his engine 2 times. But IIRC it wasn't due so much to the turbo but more so he made driver admitted driver errors that caused the problems.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #5

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

yup, Corolla XRS uses 2ZZ, Celica GTS etc etc. 190hp NA? yes please.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
The engine internals have to be replaced or they will snap even with low boost. If you wanted a sports car then you should not have purchased an xD.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #7

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
The engine internals have to be replaced or they will snap even with low boost. If you wanted a sports car then you should not have purchased an xD.
who ever told you that lied to you.
180-200hp is safe if its tuned (8psi and still be safe)
btw he never said he wanted a sports car. he just wants to upgrade performance lol
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by xd_kidd View Post
who ever told you that lied to you.
180-200hp is safe if its tuned (8psi and still be safe)
btw he never said he wanted a sports car. he just wants to upgrade performance lol
What the **** do you think low boost is, 8 PSI is a pretty weak amount of boost last I checked. You also have NO idea how long the engine will last at 8 PSi even with a conservative tune. Plus he used the word "extremely" which means he probably wants more than 200HP out of his echo box that may only last 50,000 miles.

Last edited by TheLittleDeviant; 06-29-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

8 psi being low boost is only relative. 8 psi on a Supra or say a WRX Sti is low yes. But on these engines given the size it may not be. Yes more would be better, but these engines at least stock would not handle more. If you could get it tuned properly 7 to 8 psi I would think would give good power and decent longevity. But that is if you are not trying to go out and drag it every night. However, to have a little extra when need for necessity or fun I think it could be done. And I would say with that high 100s low 200s should be obtainable and with the power to weight ratio that would be pretty good for these cars.

But if you are looking for EXTREME increases you do have the wrong car or wrong engine. At least until someone decides to do some major tuning and R&D to prove what these engines may be able to handle but at that point you could go by a new Camero or Challenger and have like 400+ on tap with minimal work.

engine swap could possibly be done for same amount as a good turbo set up and give you better starting base. but would still involve time and research and some money. Give props if you do either and post info on either if done right and works because I am looking at maybe either if I get another xD which may happen. but only for the OMG WTF factor and to say because I can not really because I require it as a necessity like some folks with xD or other small cars do.

just my $.02

Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #10

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
What the fuck do you think low boost is, 8 PSI is a pretty weak amount of boost last I checked. You also have NO idea how long the engine will last at 8 PSi even with a conservative tune. Plus he used the word "extremely" which means he probably wants more than 200HP out of his echo box that may only last 50,000 miles.
when he said extremely. Its implied from nothing to really something as in a turbo not "omg 500hp!!!!" im sure he knows better and ii thought you did to but guess not lol. were here talking about xd. 200hp with 8psi is fairly high but pretty fast. and were not here to compare to the typical cars you look at the magazines.

back to the subject.

go with the 2zz swap if its in your budget. redline at 8k and 200hp with some bolt ons should be one hell of a car! si killer for sure
Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #11

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
Turbo xD's have been done, without internals...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173658

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

when he said extremely. Its implied from nothing to really something as in a turbo not "omg 500hp!!!!" im sure he knows better and ii thought you did to but guess not lol. were here talking about xd. 200hp with 8psi is fairly high but pretty fast. and were not here to compare to the typical cars you look at the magazines.

back to the subject.

go with the 2zz swap if its in your budget. redline at 8k and 200hp with some bolt ons should be one hell of a car! si killer for sure
I agree EXTREMELY was all in the context that you took it when you read it. I took it like you extreme as in really wanting to do something not as in massive numbers.

However, 500HP on the xD would be awesome. But you would need to do some work to keep the wheels planted and not spinning and burning them up lol. this is a lightweight car.

A turbo would be nice and some less work (i.e. not bother with getting engine and doing swap, getting proper electronics and making work with your car, and tuning.) but on the flip side for about the same $$$ maybe a little more you could have roughly the same HP and a better base for upgrading. However, would take a little more work.

BASIC Turbo needs:

Turbo kit. meaning all piping and turbo etc all basic stuff no matter the car.
Possibly Fuel management system.
Tuning.

BASIC Swap need:

Engine for swap
Transmission for that engine
Possible custom exhaust for new engine to fit in your car.
electronics for the new engine. i.e. ECU from doner car.
Possibly Custom mounting brackets for engine and tranny. For our cars would need custom made. (unlike s10 where you can go online and buy brackets for like V8 swaps)
Tuning.

Again these are just basics you will need more depending on what you do will depend on what you need.

The engine swap looks like more and more money but it's not. A good turbo kit is going to run $3,000 to $4,000 before tuning. A good used engine and tranny you could get for about $2,000 if you look around. Then add in ECU and custom exhaust/mounts you are looking at about $3,000 to $4,000 before tuning.

and if a NA engine is not tuned properly it may run like crap but should not cause too much damage if any. But a turbo not tuned properly may run like crap for a minute then the engine will run no more when something breaks.

hope that helps. and someone please correct me if I am wrong on anything but I think I hit it all. at least basics

Old 06-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #13

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
I agree EXTREMELY was all in the context that you took it when you read it. I took it like you extreme as in really wanting to do something not as in massive numbers.

However, 500HP on the xD would be awesome. But you would need to do some work to keep the wheels planted and not spinning and burning them up lol. this is a lightweight car.

A turbo would be nice and some less work (i.e. not bother with getting engine and doing swap, getting proper electronics and making work with your car, and tuning.) but on the flip side for about the same $$$ maybe a little more you could have roughly the same HP and a better base for upgrading. However, would take a little more work.

BASIC Turbo needs:

Turbo kit. meaning all piping and turbo etc all basic stuff no matter the car.
Possibly Fuel management system.
Tuning.

BASIC Swap need:

Engine for swap
Transmission for that engine
Possible custom exhaust for new engine to fit in your car.
electronics for the new engine. i.e. ECU from doner car.
Possibly Custom mounting brackets for engine and tranny. For our cars would need custom made. (unlike s10 where you can go online and buy brackets for like V8 swaps)
Tuning.

Again these are just basics you will need more depending on what you do will depend on what you need.

The engine swap looks like more and more money but it's not. A good turbo kit is going to run $3,000 to $4,000 before tuning. A good used engine and tranny you could get for about $2,000 if you look around. Then add in ECU and custom exhaust/mounts you are looking at about $3,000 to $4,000 before tuning.

and if a NA engine is not tuned properly it may run like crap but should not cause too much damage if any. But a turbo not tuned properly may run like crap for a minute then the engine will run no more when something breaks.

hope that helps. and someone please correct me if I am wrong on anything but I think I hit it all. at least basics
thank you

and if im not mistaking. if he swaps to a 2zz then a tune isnt required if he keeps it n/a that is. I believe the guy who swapped his to a 2zz told us that when it was swapped into a xA nd his xD.

as for mounts. I think the stock will just have to be modified.

I've looked around for engines nd trannie. Runs for about 3k.

price wise it seems like they will run for about the same price. it wld be nice to see what the 2zrfe is capable of though and im sure theres less miles on your xd than a used 2zz lol

I been saving money. I can probably finish pay off the car by the end of the yr and now im curious to go 2zz or get another car next yr err!

Last edited by xd_kidd; 06-29-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Yeah so I say if you are serious either way set aside a good $5000 to start.

No one really knows how much these engines can handle yet since it hasn't been truly tested or at least not posted if it has (that i have seen). And by testing I mean in a shop with the means to truly test and rebuild if necessary not by some one who put one on and hit the street until it blew up. Eventually we will know what it can handle.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #15

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

ii say 6k will get you runnin which will be the same as a turbo kit since some parts will need to be custom made. And if they can put a mr2 engine to a xd nd be a sucess. Then a celica should be fairly more simple. Browse around good shops for estimates lol
Old 06-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #16

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

my friend turbo'd his D16 Civic. blew the head gasket on 5 lb's, pulled the engine, lowered compression, sealed the deck, keeps blowing transmission bearings, but upped pressure to around 8-9 lb's. the car is very quick. as he put it, it's no drag racer, but response is good enough for corner to corner runs. lots of money no matter how you cut it. but don;t cut anything out. you'll every guage possible to monitor the car
Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #17
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

back to the subject.

As Resolve has said extreme usually (99% of the time) means more than a little extra HP. I guess I'm just out of touch with this subcompact performance thing. Spending 6K on an xD performance wise is something I cannot fathom.

---------- Post added at 04:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
Yeah so I say if you are serious either way set aside a good $5000 to start.

No one really knows how much these engines can handle yet since it hasn't been truly tested or at least not posted if it has (that i have seen). And by testing I mean in a shop with the means to truly test and rebuild if necessary not by some one who put one on and hit the street until it blew up. Eventually we will know what it can handle.
Exactly these engines are still fairly new in the states and the after market has been slow to catch on. I would recommend holding off for say another year or so to see what some of the performance brands come up with. I mean DC Sports hasn't even released a header for our cars yet. Their has been a rumor going around too that Toyota is going to release a TRD supercharger for the 1.8's, once that happens I'm sure the after-market will build an improved version at reduced cost.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #18

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

6k is pricy but typical. It costs more to put a k20 into a honda but its common now. I doubt trd is gonna step in to help the 1.8 .. if anything it will be for the the new tc. But yea its slowling crawling up with aftermarket parts though not fast enough. 3yrs nd yet no headers
Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #19

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

with the economy tanking again. you pretty much bet there will be no more support to this car
Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #20
JJGeneral1
Full Access Member

Name: Joe
i want to do something where i may be cruising, and then hit boost, and feel that rush, and be pushed into the seat... maybe i should get an STI.. LOL
JJGeneral1 is offline   Reply With Quote