Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #21
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Cylon, I still think there's something odd about your xD...

The lowest I've ever gotten was 30.7 MPG (calculated... was about 32 on the display)... and that was towing a pretty heavy trailer.

My lifetime average is:

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #22
chingPO

Name: chingXD
the lowest I've gotten was 26-27 and that was when I was always rushing to work with fast accelerations(stepping it all the way ALWAYS) and very hard stops w/ the recommended tire psi. And I try not to carry any additional weight except for myself and I weigh about 165lbs at that time.

Now that I lost weight and increased tire pressure by 4psi, started putting on neutral gear whenever I see a red light and started to accelerate slowly when on a dead stop(w/c is damn hard coz I really like the VROOOM sound) I am averaging 33-34 with combined city and highway driving. I really like to fast and its verry verry tempting to do so. I can't really keep my speed on the highway speed limit of 55mph unless I'm texting while driving.
chingPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #23

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
Originally Posted by chingPO View Post
I can't really keep my speed on the highway speed limit of 55mph unless I'm texting while driving.

LOL, sounds like a news report waiting to happen...

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #24

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Troy
Just filled up yesterday and checked the mileage, 280 miles on 10.02 gallons so that's exactly 28 mpg. This tankful was strictly driving back and forth to work, about 1/3 highway, 2/3 country roads at 35-50 mph, and one 100 mile round-trip to a remote office that was 80% highway driving at 70 mph average...

And remember, I weight about 310 pounds...

Old 10-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Towed my trailer up to York again this weekend. Me (220#), my pregnant wife (won't put her weight in case she reads this post), a trailer full of stuff (about 1,000#), and the back of the car full (another 200# or so). I got 32.5 MPG actual (35.0 MPG on the display).

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.

Last edited by mcbrew; 10-05-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #26
mcbrew
Full Access Member

They must be phasing in the ethanol again... my last few tanks have been right around 37-38 MPG, and that's going pretty easy on the pedal. I might not see another 40 MPG tank until next summer.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #27

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
They must be phasing in the ethanol again... my last few tanks have been right around 37-38 MPG, and that's going pretty easy on the pedal. I might not see another 40 MPG tank until next summer.
Mine has dropped to around the same as yours, you are probably right... I couldnt understand why the drop in mpg...

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #28
CURL'S TIRE AND AUTO

Name: Curl
Guys, they don't "phase in" ethanol. it's a federal mandate as of last year, that ALL fuel and grades must contain at least 10% ethanol. It IS NOT ILLEGAL for any gas station to advertise "ethanol free" gasoline, it's just not true per the federal mandate. I lived in the Alexandria, Va. area from JAN. 07-APR.08 and i found the levels in that area range from 15% to 20% due to the smog requirements per the EPA. I just let my parents borrow the xD for their anniversary over the weekend. My folks averaged 36.6mpg over the trip of 1457.8 miles running 80+ on the highways. My old man loves it so much, he is trying to buy it from me. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN,lol!

Takeda Cold Air Intake
DC Sports Header
Greddy Weighted Shift Knob
Hawk Hps Pads(Front) Part Number HB627F.690
Killer Glass Upper Radiator Hose
Royal Purple Fluids(OIL,TRANS)
DDM TUNING HID KIT (4K Hi/Lo dual beam kit)
PIAA REPLACEMENT BULBS EVERYWHERE!
Edge Racing ED18's 17x7.5 +40 W/225/45/17 Kumho Ecsta AST's(Street)
Enkei NT03+M 17X8 +35 W/245/40/17 Nitto Nt01's(Track)

Turbo Kit coming soon!
CURL'S TIRE AND AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #29
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Guys, they don't "phase in" ethanol. it's a federal mandate as of last year, that ALL fuel and grades must contain at least 10% ethanol.
According to the information I have, only ten states have E10 mandates (Florida being the only one on the east coast). Ethanol blends are used elsewhere, and E10 makes up approximately 2/3 of the US gasoline supply. My info could be outdated, but I couldn't find anything more recent.

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 requires that 4.7 billion gallons of ethanol be used in our gasoline supply. That number goes up to 36 billion in 2022 (21 billion of which cannot be derived from corn).

Last edited by mcbrew; 02-11-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #30
hep2

Name: Rick
Default mpg
I drive my 08 xd 110 a day on 50+ country roads,a few freeway miles at 70,and the rest at 60 with stock tire pressure,standard transmission and consistantly get 42 mpg,thats 400+ per tank except in the winter when they put that crappy gas in the pumps then it dosent matter what you drive or how you drive your milage will drop by allmost 15% if you change nothing else,I dont get it,this winter gas is suppose to help reduce smog but how can that be if you have to burn 15% more to go the same distance?I have noticed this with any car I drive.
hep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #31

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

yeah, must be nice, I still have never gotten more than 320 miles per tank, on fumes, even with highway driving.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #32
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
lulz my average is 26.6 and my best is 27.8.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #33
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Cylon_xD View Post
yeah, must be nice, I still have never gotten more than 320 miles per tank, on fumes, even with highway driving.
Maybe its the wheels...

By the way, I've been watching all the episodes of the original BSG TV series at work on my iPad. Gotta love it.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
lulz my average is 26.6 and my best is 27.8.
All city? Lots of stop and go driving?

I just filled up a few hours ago and got 38.1 MPG calculated (40.3 displayed). Of my latest nine fill ups, only one was below 37 MPG. That was a very rainy week... Which seems to lower my MPGs no matter what I do.

My commute is mostly highway, but I have been driving a little faster than normal. I have seen speeds of 80+ MPH on certain stretches of the commute. Most of it is 55-60 MPH, though.

I'm going to try to take it easy on this tank and see if I can break 40 MPG for real.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #34

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Maybe its the wheels...

By the way, I've been watching all the episodes of the original BSG TV series at work on my iPad. Gotta love it.
I actually get a little better mileage now with these Katana wheels than when I had the stock wheels on...

Cool, I liked the original Battlestar Galactica series too, I was in high school when it aired on TV in the late 1970's, so I watched it pretty faithfully... but it still can't hold a candle to the new series!

Unfortunately, I have yet to break open my Bluray box set of the new BSG series I bought over 4 months ago; I've seen it in it's entirety on TV, and twice on DVD already... I'm waiting to find someone to watch it with me in The Frey Theater - check this thread out, McBrew:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...er-every-month

Now THAT's the way to watch a bluray Scifi TV Series!

Lol, sorry for the thread-jack!

Last edited by Cylon_xD; 05-25-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Cylon_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #35
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Nice theater! I live in a house that's too small and oddly shaped for a projector system... But my father has a nice setup with a 120" fixed screen and a Sanyo LCD projector. I think most ofnhis speakers are Polk in-wall units. I can't remember what the sub is. He's got a Carver amp, too... A 1,200 watt model that drives his 901s (music only).

Old 06-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #36

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
weight ballast( including ourselves), rolling diameter of the rims, inertial weight of the rims, climate control setting, driving with the windows down on the highway etc etc. all are factors. setting the vents to the defrost setting even with the switch off still engages the A/C as well as the temp setting too far in eithe rdirection will trigger the compressor too. try playing with those settings.

here are some of my distances. Chicago to Toledo or Indy leaves me with, say, 3 bars on the gas gauge. that's with a 70-75 mph speed with mostly cruise, three people and luggage
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #37
mcbrew
Full Access Member

I only got 32.1 mpg on my last tank... But I was towing my trailer for most of that tank... And 90+ degree weather doesn't help.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #38
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Maybe its the wheels...

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

All city? Lots of stop and go driving?

I just filled up a few hours ago and got 38.1 MPG calculated (40.3 displayed). Of my latest nine fill ups, only one was below 37 MPG. That was a very rainy week... Which seems to lower my MPGs no matter what I do.

My commute is mostly highway, but I have been driving a little faster than normal. I have seen speeds of 80+ MPH on certain stretches of the commute. Most of it is 55-60 MPH, though.

I'm going to try to take it easy on this tank and see if I can break 40 MPG for real.
Yep I would say around 90% city driving.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #39

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Eh, all you hyper-milers can just bite me... LOL!! jk!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #40
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by Cylon_xD View Post
Eh, all you hyper-milers can just bite me... LOL!! jk!
X2

I don't really do anything to help save on mpg's. I drive like a bat out of hell and never park to go inside for fast food.