Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Name: Anthony
Default Full custom DIY intake (parts and prices)
after careful review and research here is the list of necesary parts you need as well as prices. ( in order of set up..ex. from throttle body to the filter head.)

1. one 2.5 to 3 inch coupler w/t-clamps.....7.99
2. spectre part # 9405 (maf mount pipe+tuning adaptors)....31.99
3. one 3 inch coupler w/ t-clamps.....6.99
4. one 22 degree bend pipe (spectre part) ( 3 inch diameter).....11.99
5. 3 inch cone filter of your choice w/t-clamp.....24.99-49.99

it took me some time to get the perfect set up do to the fact that i was broke but i managed to scrap up about $60 and finish the intake completely. With this set up i gained a good 3 mpg's and in power and torque i cant say but i can definetly feel a difference in throttle response and take off. power seems to spread through the rpm range evenly, its more noticable from 3500-redline. All of this can be found in your local autozone, except parts 1+2, you can ask an employee to order them from spectre. i recommend getting part #1 because if u just get the couplers from the store with the 2.5 inch ring inside the 3 inch coupler it will not work, the whole intake will just slide off the throttle body. Any questions you can check out spectreperformance.com or ask me. hope this was any help to anybody.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

and just to add your gonna have to remove the breather tube from the intake complete but you can always put a breather filter at the end of the tubing, all i can say is make sure you get the right diamter so it can plug right in or right over the tube and zip tie it down to whatever you see fit.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #2

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
or... you can jst take out the filter box and replace it with the filter cone lol

good write up tho
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #3

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Curious to see a pic of the install.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
XDevolution
Full Access Member

yea i had just the cone on there and i zip tied the maf mount to the bumper and the battery but i figured i finish what i started. I had an idea of what it would look like and the finished product looks similar to the short ram produced by hiprospeed.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

yea i gotta get a picture up, im still getting familiar with the site and all the links.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
XDevolution
Full Access Member

This is it half way done, im still waiting for parts 1+2 to get to my house, once i finish it up i'll post the finish product. but this is a pic of just the 22* bend pipe the filter head (spectre) and how i just used the stock maf pipe and couple it to the throttle body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Custom intake (half finished).jpg (39.1 KB, 133 views)

Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #6

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Lookin' good so far. Should be sweet when you're done.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Originally Posted by xd_kidd View Post
or... you can jst take out the filter box and replace it with the filter cone lol

good write up tho
x2

Just got the short cone filter for like $20 bucks and clamped it to the MAF piece from the stock air box. But looks nice and shiney good luck on the finished product

And you part # 2 is availible at my local Autozone. I almost bought it to do what you are doing but decided the gains would not be worth the extra $40 to $50. I just wanted to hear the SWOOSH of the air sucking into the intake. lol. but did get better response from it. That is based on my fine tuned butt accelerometer and butt dyno.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Like i said b4 i had just the cone but i wanted straight pipe the ribbings in the stock silicone intake retract and slow flow down, as well as the grill like set up in the stock maf pipe, im going for straight smooth flow. I talked to a professional fabricator and he makes intakes and turbos and manifolds for a living, any little crevice or slight turn can affect power and flow so thats why im still gonna put forth that extra 30 bucks and call it a day.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #9

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
well ii tried to make the short ram before the filter cone switch but the sensor adapter from spectre didnt fit well and tried to make it work but jst caused the d to shut down after turning it on..

Last edited by xd_kidd; 11-09-2010 at 10:43 PM.
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Well the problem with the spectre pipe is that its a 3 inch diameter, our maf reads 2.5 inches. with increasing the piping diameter you increased the volume but decreased the air pressure/flow to the manifold making the air to lean and not allowing for proper air to fuel ratio to mix, inturn shutting down your car. I experienced this and it took me awhile to understand why but, with the part that mentioned up top #9405, that comes with a better selection of maf mount adapters as well as the the polished pipe with internal sleeves. what i mean is you use the 3 inch maf pipe, but have the option to put an internal sleeve pipe to make proper diameter adjustments, more or less it looks like a pipe inside of a pipe. you really gotta check the spectre site or just go autozone and ask them about spectre part 9405 it will definitely work.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

has the original post helped anybody?

Old 11-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #11

TexXBox
Full Access Member

As long as the MAF housing and sensor is unchanged the diameter of whatever is feeding it makes no difference... As long as it is bigger than the MAF housing diameter the air will have to speed up as it passes through in order to maintain the same volume of flow. Since the volume is set by the throttle opening and the engine load then the amount of air flowing through the intake is constant at a steady engine state even though the velocity may be changing dramatically as it twists and turns and expands and contracts through the system. You can run the car with nothing at all connected to the housing on the filter side and as long as the sensor works and there is no vacuum leaks on the intake side it will work just fine. Not that I recommend running without an air filter.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
XDevolution
Full Access Member

t-6061 aluminum maf pipe coming wednsday .....im almost done im waiting for that pipe to get to my house and i'll be posting up final result pics.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
XDevolution
Full Access Member

the custom intake was a terrible bomb -__- the part was such a good idea but the tuning adapters were all the wrong diameters, when using a 2.25 dia adapter the car was sluggish until 3000 rpm, also took awhile for the car to turn on. using the 2.5 inch adapter the car started perfectly but when you mashed the throttle there was no engine response and idle was very very weak, almost as if the engine was fight to stay alive, so i figured that the proper tuning diamter for the maf is sumwhere between 2.25 and 2.5 but again what can ya do, i returned it and got my refund your better off just doing whats depicted in my photo attachment, sorry guys.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
sgtgeo

Name: Geoff
XDevolution,

Do you have the part list and instructions for the setup you finally went with?

The picture you posted looks just like the HPS short ram setup except for the MAF placement.

Any reason you can't move the MAF piece between the 22deg bend pipe and the filter? does it even matter where in the flow the MAF is?

Thank you
Geoff
sgtgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
sgtgeo

So i did this mod today.

It did not go as easily as i had hoped.

On my car 2010 xD the throttle body OD is ~2.5" the MAF tube that needs to be coupled to the throttle body is also ~2.5"

So what i really needed was a straight 2.5" coupler to connect the throttle body to the MAF tube.

Spectre does make a straight 2.5" but only its made of something else and cost slightly at more $15. Naturally nowhere local has this part. I was able to make it all work by using the 3-2.5" reducer to connect the throttle body and the MAF tube. I used the "collar" from the 3"-3"/2.5" adapter to make the 3" end of the reducer fit the MAF tube.

the other end of the MAF tube is over 3" but the 3" coupler will fit if heated slightly. if probably would go on if it was warmer outside.

after that the 22deg tube and cone filter of your choice go right on.

I used a AEM dryflow filter to avoid any potential issues with the oil getting on the MAF sensor.

I purchased a longer section of the breather tube and ran it down under the short ram built an adapter and connected one of the tiny spectre cone filters. I mounted it to one of the tabs the stock airbox was connected to.

I didnt want the short ram just hanging there so i also purchased the spectre mounting hardware kit (~$6). I used the plastic chrome clamp that comes with the 22deg bend pipe to make a support/mount and used the parts in the kit to connect it to the battery hold down.

No CEL yet sounds nice will report back on MPG changes after a few days when the computer fully learns the new flow
Old 02-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
XDevolution
Full Access Member

It seems like evrythin went good geoff, was there an issue at alll? I know I wasn't specific with my procedure but its more learn as you go. It does take a while for the maf to read the new flow and itle seem as if your mpgs go down but in fact after the new flow is recognized mpgs will go up. If you have any issues let me know

Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
sgtgeo

Went well except you really need a 2.5" straight coupler for the TB to MAF connection
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
XDevolution
Full Access Member

geoff i sent u a pm but just in case u didnt get it, i did go with the hps style set up and i ended up switching the position of the pipes, i couple the 22* bend pipe to the throttle body then follwed by the maf pipe then the filter head, throttle response improved, the sound is louder and it seems like swappin positions lowered the power band, so as soon as u mash the throttle your going. definitly wise to change the position if u have not yet. thanks for the idea

Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
XDevolution
Full Access Member

this is how it looks like now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-02-20_20.38.57[1].jpg (91.4 KB, 80 views)

Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #20

macko_macko

Name: Macko
Originally Posted by XDevolution View Post
geoff i sent u a pm but just in case u didnt get it, i did go with the hps style set up and i ended up switching the position of the pipes, i couple the 22* bend pipe to the throttle body then follwed by the maf pipe then the filter head, throttle response improved, the sound is louder and it seems like swappin positions lowered the power band, so as soon as u mash the throttle your going. definitly wise to change the position if u have not yet. thanks for the idea
can you post a pic, or send me one to my email, i want to do something similar. Right now i just removed the stock air filter and add a cone specter filter. Thanks.
macko_macko is offline   Reply With Quote