Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #21
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Name: Thadeus
If they make it available to purchase, I would leave it at stock boost pressure. It looks like they include injectors with the kit from the pictured. It's not fair to say because a car with 12psi lasted 36k so 6psi would last 72k. There is no telling what he has or has not done. If you want to learn more on forced induction check out these sites:http://scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63570
http://www.custom-car.us/default.aspx
http://www.superchargersonline.com/c...oup=2&offset=0
http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...ide/index.html
When increasing compression or adding boost to your car you want to use high octane gas.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
Forced induction will cause parts to wear down faster really and I only thought running the bottle caused that. In reality you have no idea how long this car will last with even moderate levels of boost such as 6 PSI. The amount of research done on this topic is few and far between. I can also promise you Toyota NA will never cover that under the factory warranty. I just cannot see the point in paying several thousand dollars just so you can still have your doors blown off by real performance cars.
You can still blow your engine with nos or starting fluid. I don't like nos because it can run out, and constantly have to refill. As for cars of faster performance, I bought this car because it encompassed everything I wanted. If I wanted I could have bought a used (insert car here) instead of a newer XD. I don't want a drag queen, I like that's a hatch back, I like the fuel economy, I like that I don't see them everywhere, I like that its fairly light, and I like the dependability and resale value. This is an enthusiast site, and I can't imagine why someone would want to go around and crap on someone's idea without any info to backup their indiscriminate negativity.
As for not being covered by warranty, did you look at the translated site I posted? Its clearly states "As of March 2009 there was the Toyota Yaris bemani edition every Toyota dealer from CHF 33'900 .00 to buy a limited. Diese Sonderedition wurde vom Importeur lanciert und unterstützt. This special edition has been launched by the importer and supported. Somit gelten die wie für jeden Toyota üblichen Garantie- und Gratisservice-Leistungen. Therefore applicable to any such standard Toyota warranty and free services." Which means over in Switzerland or wherever this is put out. It is covered under warranty. If you would like to see the site I'll post the link again.http://translate.google.com/translat...al%26prmd%3Div
Whack-A-Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #22
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Here's a video with the Yaris TS with bemani rotrex kit. I believe he's from Germany. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ai0...=youtube_gdata
Apparently this place sales the kit. http://www.trc-tuning.com/
It's located in Germany, and they don't have any distributors in the US. They do however have a distributor in Canada.

Onderground-Design

Official TRC Main Agent Distributor for Canada

c/o Eric Belec
1355 Tellier Street, Laval, Quebec
Phone:450-667-3939

Last edited by Whack-A-Mole; 12-13-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #23
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Name: Anthony
yea the kit is such a great idea but its just too much money to again get our doors blown off by better cars, and for 7K i could get evry performance part available for the Xd and still have money left over to do custom work (port n polished heads etc...)

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Whack-A-Mole View Post
Here's a video with the Yaris TS with bemani rotrex kit. I believe he's from Germany. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ai0...=youtube_gdata
Apparently this place sales the kit. http://www.trc-tuning.com/
It's located in Germany, and they don't have any distributors in the US. They do however have a distributor in Canada.

Onderground-Design

Official TRC Main Agent Distributor for Canada

c/o Eric Belec
1355 Tellier Street, Laval, Quebec
Phone:450-667-3939
is it possible to purchase the kit from them? in canada?

Old 12-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #24

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
thats just spending more money for importing when you can have something done here

Old 12-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #25
cobaltbravo

Name: cobalt
Not to rain on the parade, but the yaris and xd have two fairly diffrent motors, as far as slapping parts on goes. We share our suspension and I think maybe a few parts on the trans, but that's about it. Toyota of north america will never cover this either. Sure, the swiss may, but their warranty ain't gonna mean jack to your local dealership. Superchargers are fine if the kit is made for the model, but otherwise don't waste your time, turbo is easier and prob cheaper in the long run. And all FI will wear your motor/drivetrain faster, its going to happen for nitrous,for turbos,etc. You want a faster xd? Get ten fellow xd owners with four grand in their pockets and call ptuning. They offered last year, I was the only one willing to pay to play, so they didn't make it. End rant.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #26

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Oo you guys lol

Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #27
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Originally Posted by cobaltbravo View Post
Not to rain on the parade, but the yaris and xd have two fairly diffrent motors, as far as slapping parts on goes. We share our suspension and I think maybe a few parts on the trans, but that's about it.
Not to rain on your parade, but the TS Yaris has the same 1.8L engine the xD has and even mounted in the car the same way. The base yaris yes only has the 1.5 motor so will not match up.

Originally Posted by cobaltbravo View Post
Superchargers are fine if the kit is made for the model, but otherwise don't waste your time, turbo is easier and prob cheaper in the long run.
Please enlighten why adding a supercharger that is not part of a kit is different then adding a turbo that is not a kit?

If that was true then all the Domestic Muscle cars that add the big Weiand Superchargers are a waste of time as you say it. It's all FI that compresses air going into the engine. Only difference is Turbos run off exhaust gases and Supercharger runs off an Accessory Belt. Based on engine compartment I think it would be easuer to mount a supercharger in an xD than a turbo if someone would be brave enough to custom make a flange for it to bolt to the block.and figure out belts sizes and routing. They both have pros and cons but I wouldnt say either are a waste.

The main problem Scion will have is tuning. Finding someone that will/can tune the vehicle for boost. There are people out there have or had turbos on the xD and driving them. So creating a kit is not the issue. Tuning is. I am waiting on an update from SL about dude who had his boosted and runs 5psi with stock ECM. He was running no problem at last update. Only run into problems with more boost. Not saying you shouldn't get a tune anytime you boost because in perfect world you should, but not always necesary if low boost (within reason and capabilities of engine) and you monitor what's going on while hitting boost.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Looking at it and assuming previous cost are approx right so you are looking at about $7K to have a supercharger that is made for the engine and has been r&d and it is european (german or switzerland) so should be a reliable part. I would say it is alot of money yes, but if it is reliable and is made for this engine and works well and to be one of few to have it in USA i would say worth it. Sometimes you got to pay to play. only problem I see, which isnt necissarly a problem to me is that you loose your A/C. Looking at the pics they place where you put the propeller pulley is where the A/C is.

The increase in HP is about 81HP. So cost to increase is about .0115HP (81/7000) per dollar. That may not be alot, but when you consider what people pay for exhaust compared to gains then it is about average if not better. say you get 5HP from exhaust and you spend 350 you get .0142HP (5/350) per dollar.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #28
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but the TS Yaris has the same 1.8L engine the xD has and even mounted in the car the same way. The base yaris yes only has the 1.5 motor so will not match up.

Please enlighten why adding a supercharger that is not part of a kit is different then adding a turbo that is not a kit?

If that was true then all the Domestic Muscle cars that add the big Weiand Superchargers are a waste of time as you say it. It's all FI that compresses air going into the engine. Only difference is Turbos run off exhaust gases and Supercharger runs off an Accessory Belt. Based on engine compartment I think it would be easuer to mount a supercharger in an xD than a turbo if someone would be brave enough to custom make a flange for it to bolt to the block.and figure out belts sizes and routing. They both have pros and cons but I wouldnt say either are a waste.

The main problem Scion will have is tuning. Finding someone that will/can tune the vehicle for boost. There are people out there have or had turbos on the xD and driving them. So creating a kit is not the issue. Tuning is. I am waiting on an update from SL about dude who had his boosted and runs 5psi with stock ECM. He was running no problem at last update. Only run into problems with more boost. Not saying you shouldn't get a tune anytime you boost because in perfect world you should, but not always necesary if low boost (within reason and capabilities of engine) and you monitor what's going on while hitting boost.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Looking at it and assuming previous cost are approx right so you are looking at about $7K to have a supercharger that is made for the engine and has been r&d and it is european (german or switzerland) so should be a reliable part. I would say it is alot of money yes, but if it is reliable and is made for this engine and works well and to be one of few to have it in USA i would say worth it. Sometimes you got to pay to play. only problem I see, which isnt necissarly a problem to me is that you loose your A/C. Looking at the pics they place where you put the propeller pulley is where the A/C is.

The increase in HP is about 81HP. So cost to increase is about .0115HP (81/7000) per dollar. That may not be alot, but when you consider what people pay for exhaust compared to gains then it is about average if not better. say you get 5HP from exhaust and you spend 350 you get .0142HP (5/350) per dollar.
Yeah you lost me after the whole A/C delete part.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #29
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Yeah you lost me after the whole A/C delete part.
lol yeah most people wont want to lose the a/c. but I have driven vehicles for a long time without it. so I am used to it. It is good to have but to me personally not a necessity. When I had my first gen xb I only used the a/c when it was really hot and sitting in traffic, other wise I cruised around with the windows down.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #30
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Are you sure it replaces the compressor, or does it sit between the alternator and compressor? I usually don't use the ac, but in a high humidity hot day that has been going bad, ac is usually a good reprieve. It would be a deal breaker for me.
I also followed the ptunning thread, but when I asked them to sell themselves abit they were melancholy. Responding only to ask the TC people what they thought of their kit. I took their attitude as how they would approach the project and so I didn't pony up. I am a grown man, and I don't want to mess with an aloof company. 2g's up front and they'll do you a favor!

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

It looks like it sits between the alternator and compressor. I could be wrong though. Here's a pic:http://www.trc-tuning.com/_products/...ressor_03f.jpg
Old 12-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #31
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Looking at it again you are probably right. It probably does sit between the alt and a/c. must be a tight fit. looks like the a/c hoses are still there. I just looked quick and didn't see the a/c compressor and saw where they were sitting it. good catch.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #32
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by Whack-A-Mole View Post
If they make it available to purchase, I would leave it at stock boost pressure. It looks like they include injectors with the kit from the pictured. It's not fair to say because a car with 12psi lasted 36k so 6psi would last 72k. There is no telling what he has or has not done. If you want to learn more on forced induction check out these sites:http://scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63570
http://www.custom-car.us/default.aspx
http://www.superchargersonline.com/c...oup=2&offset=0
http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...ide/index.html
When increasing compression or adding boost to your car you want to use high octane gas.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

You can still blow your engine with nos or starting fluid. I don't like nos because it can run out, and constantly have to refill. As for cars of faster performance, I bought this car because it encompassed everything I wanted. If I wanted I could have bought a used (insert car here) instead of a newer XD. I don't want a drag queen, I like that's a hatch back, I like the fuel economy, I like that I don't see them everywhere, I like that its fairly light, and I like the dependability and resale value. This is an enthusiast site, and I can't imagine why someone would want to go around and crap on someone's idea without any info to backup their indiscriminate negativity.
As for not being covered by warranty, did you look at the translated site I posted? Its clearly states "As of March 2009 there was the Toyota Yaris bemani edition every Toyota dealer from CHF 33'900 .00 to buy a limited. Diese Sonderedition wurde vom Importeur lanciert und unterstützt. This special edition has been launched by the importer and supported. Somit gelten die wie für jeden Toyota üblichen Garantie- und Gratisservice-Leistungen. Therefore applicable to any such standard Toyota warranty and free services." Which means over in Switzerland or wherever this is put out. It is covered under warranty. If you would like to see the site I'll post the link again.http://translate.google.com/translat...al%26prmd%3Div
Again I know it is covered by Toyota over in Europe but what about over here? It might work but I promise you unless you know the service manager their will an up hill battle with this, please don't call a nitrous oxide nos either. I have no problem with people wanting to make their xD's faster but I know nothing will come of this. From headers, to intakes, and forced induction company after company has turned us down because of lack of interest. If we can get a company to produce a kit similar to the one in Europe stateside then we could have a good kit that would be reasonably priced.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #33
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

I would be down for a state side kit. I was referring to Toyota covering the kit under warranty in Europe as a idea of how safe the kit would be considered. You know after liability people give the kit a once over and decide to cover it (in europe) then you know it's fairly safe. I would not expect Toyota in the states to cover a kit they don't distribute.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #34
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Name: Anthony
bringing this thread back from the dead, has anyone heard of any updates on FI projects. i kinda gave up on modding for the moment to save cash but it still would be cool to see a supercharger or just new parts in general to come out

Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #35
C4W22

Forced induction will cause parts to wear down faster really and I only thought running the bottle caused that. In reality you have no idea how long this car will last with even moderate levels of boost such as 6 PSI. The amount of research done on this topic is few and far between. I can also promise you Toyota NA will never cover that under the factory warranty. I just cannot see the point in paying several thousand dollars just so you can still have your doors blown off by real performance cars.
/thread.
C4W22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #36
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

DEFINE real performance cars?

You mean like Camaros and Mustangs etc.. Where people also put thousands into to make faster and still get their doors blown off by STOCK Porsches, Lambos, etc.

OR you mean Above mentioned Porsches, Lambos, and etc. that most cars are out of their league unless you spend $100K plus per car.

You cannot compare a boosted 4 cylinder to a stock V8 or V12.

Last edited by Resolve; 01-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Resolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #37

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/32...turbo-kit.html

ive been checking up on this every now and again. if anything its interesting reading. if they pull through with it, could be interesting.
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #38

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Ok really? Yea our cars can be smoked by many cars stock if we went f.I but the question is if anything is out. No one cares about your opinion if our cars will last with turbo. If the price justifies the power. And soo on. Not pointing anyone out but in general. Let them be.

Last edited by xd_kidd; 01-10-2012 at 02:41 PM.
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #39
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
DEFINE real performance cars?

You mean like Camaros and Mustangs etc.. Where people also put thousands into to make faster and still get their doors blown off by STOCK Porsches, Lambos, etc.

OR you mean Above mentioned Porsches, Lambos, and etc. that most cars are out of their league unless you spend $100K plus per car.

You cannot compare a boosted 4 cylinder to a stock V8 or V12.
Fine since you seem to have need to keep this going I will reply to your post. A performance vehicle is one designed from the factory that is built with performance in mind (crazy right). Engine, transmission, chassis, suspension, and a whole host of other things are designed to operate at a different level than a traditional go from point A to B car. Of course their are different levels of performance but in your example one thing you forget to mention is the Camaro SS and the Mustang GT are built from the ground up to be a sports car and are some of the best bang for the buck cars on the road. Hell at a recent N-Ring test a BOSS Mustang placed 3rd beating out the majority of high end European sports cars. Their are bargains to be had as well if you consider how easy it is to mod cars like the Gen Coupe and for 5-6K you can have a Mustang GT pumping out over 500RWHP while still having a factory warranty. BTW I do not need to compare a boosted four cylinder to a NA V8...regular boosted four cylinders like the Mazdaspeed 3, Gen Coupe 2.0T, Cobalt SS, and an SRT 4 are more than powerful enough to get the job done.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #40
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

^^Somebody sounds butt hurt.