Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
aeugene

Name: aeugene
Default How Often Does Your Cooling Fan Come On?
I had my radiator replaced a few months ago after an accident. Since then it seems like the engine/cooling fan comes on often. I can drive five miles (manual drive) on a cool or cold day in Cleveland (go cavs) ... and it will come on 1-2 times. Often it comes on when I come to a stop. Is this common? Thanks!
aeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
JJGeneral1
Full Access Member

Name: Joe
when i'm idling, it comes on frequently. when i'm cruising the interstate, i can't tell, but i'm sure it comes on sometimes.
JJGeneral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
This is normal.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Anybody know at what temp the cooling fan comes on? If not, I'll figure it out tomorrow and post it here if anyone is interested.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Troy
the fan on the xD is a little irritating in summer, when stopped at a light idling, it will turn on and run for short time, turn off, turn back on, off, on... way too much cycling... Id rather just have it run continuously for an extended time, the thermostat end points are set too close, I guess...

Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #6

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
to the OP, yes, it is normal. I completely agree with you Troy, maybe a bypass switch is in order...

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

With my Z28 I installed a 160 T-Stat and turned the fan activation points down...shame we cannot do that with most Asian imports cause it made a huge difference in my operating temps.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Yeah, but remember that engines are generally more efficient at higher temps. As long as it isn't hot enough to cause damage.

I keep forgetting... I'll get the scangauge hooked up tomorrow if I can remember.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #9
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Yeah, but remember that engines are generally more efficient at higher temps. As long as it isn't hot enough to cause damage.

I keep forgetting... I'll get the scangauge hooked up tomorrow if I can remember.
I have to disagree to an extent. Once an engine warms up beyond a closed loop status then it is good to go. The high temperature T-Stats help cars meet emission standards and is pretty much the reason why they are standard on all cars regardless of make and model. I prefer a colder thermostat which lowers under hood temperatures, allows for an increase timing, reduces fluid stress, and of course colder air.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
I have to disagree to an extent. Once an engine warms up beyond a closed loop status then it is good to go. The high temperature T-Stats help cars meet emission standards and is pretty much the reason why they are standard on all cars regardless of make and model. I prefer a colder thermostat which lowers under hood temperatures, allows for an increase timing, reduces fluid stress, and of course colder air.
If you want your engine to run cooler, that's fine... but it's hard to disagree with the statement I made. A hotter engine is generally more efficient. The cylinder walls will not rob the combustion chamber of as much heat. So, more of the energy from combustion is turned into mechanical power.

By the way, I checked it out, and it seems like the fan comes on at 205F. It was only 75F out when I tested it, and the fan never came on during my 30 mile commute. When I parked at work, I let it idle with the AC on at it finally got hot enough to start the fan. During my commute, the temp stayed in the 198-202F range. I'll go out on a limb and say that it has a 200F thermostat in there.