Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #1

Pittshark
Full Access Member

Name: Mark
Default New wheels/tire, Tire pressure light
Hey guys, hoping someone has a suggestion to help with this one, I really don't want to have to worry about going to the dealership for something like this. Being that a lot of you have put new wheels and tires on your rides, I thought maybe this has happened to someone else.

So I got the new wheels and tires on Friday, went from the stock tire size to 225/45/17. Friday and Saturday, no light on the dash. Sunday I went over to my parents house, and just as I was pulling in their driveway, the tire pressure light starts flashing. I immediately checked the pressure in each tires...no apparent problem there, all four hitting exactly at 34. I have had the light come on before, when I had a slow leak in one of the stocks, but it was solid and always went off once more air was added. I checked the manual and it says if the light blinks for one minute and then stays solid (which is exactly what it's doing) then it's a malfunction and you should see the dealer. I tried to do the reset thing that read about on another thread, but no luck there.

If anyone has had this happen or have any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate hearing it. The dealer is not very close to me and with my work schedule and going to grad school on Saturdays, it's really hard to get out there. Not to mention it seems really dumb to have to go to the dealer for something like this. Thanks in advance.
Pittshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
it sounds like they didnt install your pressure sensors properly. You should deffidently go back to where you had them installed and make them check it. You should be covered considering it was only 3 days ago and its their fault.

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Pittshark
Full Access Member

Yeah, good call. After reading your post I called the dealer and explained the problem to them and mentioned that I was told that it might be the place that installed the wheels and tires that caused the problem with the sensors. They agreed and said it's easily possible that the place either did not install the sensors properly, or even damaged one of them. They said the tire place should be responsible for it and take care of it, so I'm gonna contact them and hope for the best.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #4

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

good luck, let us know if they fix it

Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #5

Pittshark
Full Access Member

Well the tire shop was really cool about it and said to bring it out whenever I can and they'll check it out. They did mention that they don't take them off and shouldn't have caused any issues, and that the light normally should have come on right away if there was a problem, but regardless he said no problem and they'll check it out and if there's anything they can detect is wrong that they'll take care of it. Probably won't be able to get out there till Saturday, so we'll see what happens.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #6

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

I never upgraded to larger wheels but when I did replace the tires my sensors stopped working properly and they replaced them for free and they work just fine now.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #7

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
You might need to re-set your tire pressure monitoring system. There is a TPMS reset button under the steering column on the under dash panel. I think you turn the key on into the run position without starting the car, press and hold the TPMS re-set button until the TPMS warning on the dash flashes and then goes out. Or something like that. The instructions are in your owners manual and I posted accurately somewhere else on this forum a while ago, just can't remember where.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #8

Pittshark
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by TexXBox View Post
You might need to re-set your tire pressure monitoring system. There is a TPMS reset button under the steering column on the under dash panel. I think you turn the key on into the run position without starting the car, press and hold the TPMS re-set button until the TPMS warning on the dash flashes and then goes out. Or something like that. The instructions are in your owners manual and I posted accurately somewhere else on this forum a while ago, just can't remember where.
Yeah, I actually read your post and tried that. It didn't seem to do anything, but there is one thing that I haven't tried yet. Like I mentioned, the light flashes for one minute and then goes solid. The couple times I tried the reset method, I only tried to hold the button in while it was flashing, so I guess I could try to wait till it goes solid to hit the button. Have my doubts that it'll do anything though, being that what it's doing apparently signifies a 'malfunction', according to the owners manual.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #9

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Good luck resolving it. Hope the tire shop helps you out.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #10

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

Name: Mr Squid
Pittshark what's the update on this? and btw what tires did you install?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #11

Pittshark
Full Access Member

Ok, here's the update....despite being pretty cool guys and having tremendous prices, I'm fairly livid with the tire shop. On Saturday, I got done with class early and made the long haul out to the tire shop. You'll notice in one of my earlier posts I mentioned that i did call the shop earlier in the week and explained the problem, and was told to just bring it out and they should be able to take care of it. Well I get out there, and the one guys comes out and looks at my car and almost instantly he says, 'Oh I know what the problem is, there's no sensors on these wheels, they're still on your factory wheels.' Not having any knowledge as to what the sensors are/look like, he explained to me that they fit around the bottom of the stems. I asked him why they weren't transferred from my stock wheels and he gave me the questionable response that they only do that if the customer requests it. The only thing they were able to offer me was no charge if I came back out with the stock wheels and had them make the switch. I can't even describe how much of a pain in the ass that would be. Does anybody know if you can buy those pressure sensors?

Squid, in answer to your question, for tires I went with Kumho Ecsta AST 225/45/17.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #12

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

Name: Mr Squid
geez....what a PITA. dont know if you can buy those sensors....maybe call a Scion service department(?). aside: impressions on the Ecsta ASTs?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #13

Pittshark
Full Access Member

So far so good. I'm not hard on tires or anything, but living in Pittsburgh you can't really drive anywhere without driving on roads that go up, down, and curve every way imaginable, so it can really be exposed if you're rolling around on questionable treads. I can tell the grip around bends is better, but I'd say going from the stock tire to something a little bigger like I did makes a decent difference. Once I get around to getting lowering springs and the sway bar, i should see a HUGE difference.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #14

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

You can buy new sensors no problem usually. When I replaced my wheels at Discount Tire they offered to have them replaced with new ones for $30 for the set.