Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #61
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Their headers are longer than stock. Therefore if you get the header you need to get a custom midpipe or thier mid pipe. If that is the case A midpipe made to bolt up to the stock header wouldn't fit their full lenght headers, due to the difference in lengths. Plus also states they make Midpipes for stock and midpipes for their headers. So two different setups.

Well maybe I could get it to fit if I delete the cat and resonator? Then it would just move the mid pipe back further. Would this be possible ScionNutt? I haven't been under the car like you have so I don't know all the room and stuff under there.

Last edited by Resolve; 09-30-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Resolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #62

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
Can't wait till ii get mines.. have to wait till ii get paid next week tho =p

Old 10-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #63
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Name: Thadeus
I am curious. Is the piping running from either the cat or resonator (depending on which configuration you buy) is it one continuous piece of mandrel bent pipe or is it welded sections for each bend?
Whack-A-Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #64
ScionNutt

Name: ScionNutt
I am working on the bend layout program so we can eliminate some welds but as of now they are mandrel bent 2 1/4 bends cut and welded in our fixture. Every section is cut then flat sanded and cleaned up for a perfect fit and then tig wedled. There will not be any flow restrictions inside the pipe.

Johnny
RPM

Originally Posted by Whack-A-Mole View Post
I am curious. Is the piping running from either the cat or resonator (depending on which configuration you buy) is it one continuous piece of mandrel bent pipe or is it welded sections for each bend?
ScionNutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #65
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Name: Anthony
when is the group buy for the mid pipe happening because im eager to purchase one.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #66

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

I'm waiting on mines now .. hopefully its install before the event. Prolly take a vid or 2

Old 10-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #67

YELOSUB
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Tim
Originally Posted by xd_kidd View Post
I'm waiting on mines now .. hopefully its install before the event. Prolly take a vid or 2
Awesome...

Old 10-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #68
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

I'll title this as magic mid pipe.
After I bought my header I got a mid pipe made at my local Midas, and was not happy with the results. I could have taken it back and pulled teeth to fix a couple of things wrong with it, but didn't want to be bothered with it. The guy behind the counter kept building up to charge me more money, and the mechanic was honest but was missing the majority of his front teeth and was in his early 20s. So my complaints were they didn't use my mandrel bent pipe; they didn't install my resonator; one crush bent pipe had a couple of quarter size dents in it; my muffler was angled down and to the left; the whole setup rattled like a mad man with a cow bell; when they extended the o2 wire they didn't insalate it. The kid looked real proud of his work, and it took most of the day. I was quoted 4 hours install time, but the kid told me he was pulled off several times to work on other jobs. The man behind the came up to me directly after that. He was smiling, shaking his head, and looking at the ground when said " Welp, this job took longer than we expected". I quickly shut him down with "your mechanic just told me he has been pulled off this job several times." when he walks off I notice/ask the mechanic if the pipes are crush bent, they were. It was time for them to close at 6pm, so I go inside to settle the bill as they try to finish up, and the guy starts trying to build up again when I snap a little bit and we understand each other. $400 to install the header and custom make a mid pipe. As I try to leave they find that they left the keys in the ignition and the acc on. So my car was dead. With a quick push my car "rattled" back to life. The kid mechanic looked at me and said "you can bring it back tomorrow if it knocks or rattles." I just told him I won't be back with all my certainty. I rattled loudly down the road to my house when my CEL popped on. I was tired and needed to take a nap before work. So that's the back story.

Now the magical mid pipe. After hearing RPM was making a mid pipe for our through fitment on Yelosub's car I knew I had to get it. I got it in the mail, and got it installed through a recommended shop quickly without a problem. It now doesn't rattle, and I got it fit to the stock muffler until I get time to work on the axle back. The next part doesn't make sense to me, my CEL turned off on the way home. I thought the ecu would have to be reset. That's why I call it the magical mid pipe. Here's some pics of the mid pipe starting with one of the core of the cat.

Here's a pic showing the oem muffler bolted to the mid pipe. It fit like a glove.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #69

YELOSUB
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Tim
Congrat's...Glad you got it installed and all your troubles went away...Don't you just love the header/mid-pipe combo

Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #70
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Yes I do. The point of the story was the hassle, and the with the mid pipe I purchased from RPM fit perfect with less time. No worries. I would have bought the mid pipe when I got the header, but it was not available. Plus I think there was a problem with my stock cat. The reason I say this is because both mid pipes had no resonator, but the rpm mid pipe paired with the stock muffler pulls better from a stop than the Midas mid pipe paired with straight through muffler (vibrant 1145). Mind you the stock muffler pipe is 2" if not smaller and does not flow as well. The rpm mid pipe is 2 1/4 but bolts up to the stock muffler. You can see the size difference in the last pic I posted.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #71

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

I decided to take a shot in installing it with my friend before the scion show/drag meet and it did take about 3.5 hrs to installing it if u take away time to find the right bolt numbers and what not. I had a bit of a hard time cause I'm no pro at this. Its a great sound at wot. But don't want to type my full review on my phone but yea I'm getting the rattling at throttle and a knock here and there. I'm assuming its the heat sheild for the rattlying nd idk about the knock so ima have to get another look at it. Any ideas to what it can be?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #72
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Glad to see all the positive reviews, I will probably pick one up once some hard numbers are posted.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #73
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Xdkidd, I have no idea without seeing it. My mid pipe came in two lengthens of pipe. So there is some adjustability, but not much.

Cxtkrs1, I don't think you'll be getting it. If you would pay for it, I would get it dyno'ed for you, but I also don't have the stock exhaust for a baseline. They dyno'ed the header/mid pipe on the corolla, but they had some issues. The dyno sheet was in mph instead of rpm and the car was overheating on the dyno. They got a graph, but it was not very helpful. If you would like to see it, it's on Toyota nation 10th gen corolla forum thread name with PPE headers. From looking around I don't see dynos for the weapon r or it's clone dc header.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Ah, here some of the corolla rpm pics including the not so helpful dyno. http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j346/RPM427/
Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #74

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Yea mines came in two lengths but idk.. might lift it tomorrow and see what's up.. all ii do kno is that its comming from where the hand brak is nd passenger seat

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Yea mines came in two lengths but idk.. might lift it tomorrow and see what's up.. all ii do kno is that its comming from where the hand brak is nd passenger seat

Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #75
XDevolution
Full Access Member

im seeing that fastscions now offers the rpm mid pipe and header options, but when purchasing the mid pipe with no cats theres a note that says cel eliminator recommended for cat-less options, does this mean we have to purchase the cel eliminator or does rpm still automatically put them on the catLess options?

Old 10-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #76

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

so ii found out my prob. the rubber piece that holds the exhaust is ripped off. anyone know where i can buy one?

And wat is it called? Lol

Last edited by xd_kidd; 10-29-2011 at 06:22 PM.
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #77
XDevolution
Full Access Member

so ii found out my prob. the rubber piece that holds the exhaust is ripped off. anyone know where i can buy one?

And wat is it called? Lol
an exhaust hanger maybe? and you can get one at your local napa auto parts store for like 5 bucks

Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #78

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Yea that's what the ppl from napa said. But I wld assume the stick part is called the hanger. Surprisingly they don't have it 0_o

Last edited by xd_kidd; 10-30-2011 at 08:03 AM.
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #79
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Yea that's what the ppl from napa said. But I wld assume the stick part is called the hanger. Surprisingly they don't have it 0_o
well that black piece is called a rubber hanger, the stock ones are real flimsy and too flexible i increased the hanger size (i have a lip kit the oe hanger wouldnt work) and that was def a good investment its very stirdy and solid.

and did u see my post about the fast scions mid pipe? do u think i'll need to by a cel eliminator for the cat-less option? or does rpm still include there own cel eliminator with the kit?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #80

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Where did u get the rubber hanger from? And I wld assume it wld come with the cel eliminator.