Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
TKxD

Name: TK
Smile Not discontinued for 2013!
Just came back from the local dealer. Was very concerned about ordrering a 2012 if it will be discontinued in 2013. They told me it definitely WILL be offered in 2013. I know dealers have to stock parts for 7 years but I plan to keep this next car much longer than that. What a relief!
TKxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
What are you looking for in a car? what are your future plans/modification if any?

I love the xD and don't plan on getting rid of it. heck I parked mine to redo the overall car. Probably going to be putting about $10K into it worth of overall changes and updates. I am going with a NON TRAILER QUEEN show car venture.

But I just want to help you get the right car to start. or at least right direction.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
TKxD

Hatchback, mpg, adequate torque/acceleration, reliability, affordability.
And, I just want to LIKE IT, as we usually keep our cars ten years or more.
TRD exhaust, air filter, rear sway bar, sport suspension, upgraded stereo, aftermarket sun roof.

Last edited by TKxD; 07-16-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Eliminate redundancy. And avoid repeating myself too.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

in that case in my opinion the xd would work.

I like the acceleration and low end on the car. I am almost 100K with no major issues, and some others over 100K. Exhaust, intake, sway bars, suspension are available. One person put a sunroof or sliding rag top (yelosub i believe) on so that is doable. Stereo what ever you want. I had a box with 4 cubic feet of air in mine behind the back seats and below the window, but had no cargo room. but that was the old setup and served it's purpose.

So all in all you would be pleased wiht the xD

Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
To my understanding 2012 was the last full year of production so their might end being a 13 model but that will be it. I like my xD and would purchase it again if it was 2009 but for the most part power train technology has pretty much passed this car up. Unless you are really stuck on buying the car for appearance I recommend checking out other cars from Ford, Chevrolet, Hyundai, KIA, and maybe some others.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
TKxD

At this point the only others I'm really considering are the Matrix and the Mazda3.
I don't trust Ford, Chevy, or Kia for reliability. Just plain don't like the looks of the Hyundai. I like the Mini Countryman but it's much more expensive and the costs to repair them are astronomical, I'm told by an independent mechanic.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

I also would only get a manual tramsmission since it's a five speed compared to the automatic's four. And I like driving stick.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

It's true that technology and power train have surpassed scion. even proven based on the new FR-S as far as I am concerned.

But the xD is still fun to drive as it is.

As far as reliability. Ford I was never really a fan for that reason. I knew a guy with a Mustang and he was fixing it every weekend. Same with some others I knew. Their trucks were always good but cars not so much. But I know people that have been running newer Fords with no issues. So because of deal I could get and wife wanting one I got it for her and it is a nice car.

Chevy, well I love Chevy and am a Chevy guy at heart. I have an s10 that was running good until I parked it for a little due to brakes. had trouble getting it restarted but that eventually did and still ran after sitting a year and was no problem. I have it parked now and going to rebuild it. just personal preference but it has over 150K original miles, I am the 3rd owner and I know for sure I have not been easy on the vehicle. but I would have no problem running it more. I know many people that have Chevy/GMC and no issues outside normal wear and tear.

KIA no reliability. My parents each had one an 05 and an 06. Within the first week of my mom getting hers she had to go back to the dealer 3 times for a fuel rail issue. On the third time they gave her a whole new car. My dads seemed fine until one morning I was driving it and it stopped going and wouldn't crank. took it to the dealer since was under 50K miles and they looked at it and said the timing belt, yes belt not chain, broke and when it did it caused some major damage to the car. basically it broke and left some valves open while the motor was still spinning and pistons and valves contacting is not good. they had to re machine the heads and basically rebuild it, but they did it under warrenty since less than 50K. Then shortly after this my moms cars maybe 60K miles same thing but this time on the expressway. I pushed it home with the xD (lol had to throw that in there). They got it to the dealer and they said same thing timing belt broke but not under warrenty. so they would replace whole engine for her for $4000+ the car resale was only about $2000 so no way not happening. They were going to buy an engine separate but sold the car for $500, lucky my dad is retired and doesn't need the car daily and my mom works like 5 minutes from their house. ON top of that A friend had a 2012 Kia that she just returned lemon law and only had less than 6 month. Kept throwing engine codes and they couldn't igure out why even had master tech come in from out of state and he couldnt figure it out. so they filed lemon law.

Sorry for long story but I felt those where need to know on my experience about reliability.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
TKxD

Much appreciated. Good to be informed!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #9

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
THe xB2 and xD are not being discontinued. The CEO of Scion was discontinued instead. AS I have repeated over and over, there are way better looking car in teh Japan market that should be brought back over. Not the Rumion. It's ho hum at best. But hey, that's what everyone wanted, right? bigger and more powerful...I still swear the xD came form the Euro market. I hate the clutch they have. It feels european and I can't stand spongy clutches....I'm always grinding 2nd and 3rd....Never a problem in my xB1. But the xD has good power. But this car disappoints me with driving feel. so bland. But hey...it's a Toyota. Aren't they all bland these day? It's gonna take some time to get that " OH what a feeling" back into Toyota. I hope the GT86/BRZ/FRS kick start that...Maybe Scion should replace the xB2 with the Voxy. 2.5l 200 van? I'll buy that! And make it look like this

JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote